Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-05-2014, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Tanaka trimmer and redmax blower maintenance

Hello everybody,

New to the game. After doing some searches with no luck I've decided to make a thread to gather some opinions on some questions that I have. Recently I bought a Tanaka TBC-260pf trimmer and a redmax hbz-2601 blower off of craigslist and couldn't be happier with them. But since I bought them used I was thinking about cleaning or changing the air filters on them.

Where can I buy such air filters, or could I just clean them and how so?

I noticed the blower was made in 07 with a Japanese engine, what else should I do to keep it running long?

What should I do to the trimmer before starting to use it to make it last?

Thanks for the opinions, I am a newb and every answer helps.

Nick
Old 07-05-2014, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Basic preventative maintenance is essentially all you have to do. Keep the air and intank fuel filters clean or replace if necessary. Check the condition of the plug and replace if necessary. Remove the spark arrestors in the muffler(if present) and burn off accumulated carbon buildup with a torch.

Use proper oil/gas mix ratio and use only non ethanol fuel if possible. Avoid leaving fuel in tank. lines and carb for extended periods of time. I prefer to run 'em dry at the end of season.

If you have a straight shaft trimmer, grease the gear head occasionally--depending on how hard you use it--over greasing will push grease into the tube.

When all else fails, use common sense.

If you don't have Tanaka/RedMax dealers in your area, I have noticed that one online dealer that handles both, www.wiseequipment.net.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Basic preventative maintenance is essentially all you have to do. Keep the air and intank fuel filters clean or replace if necessary. Check the condition of the plug and replace if necessary. Remove the spark arrestors in the muffler(if present) and burn off accumulated carbon buildup with a torch.

Use proper oil/gas mix ratio and use only non ethanol fuel if possible. Avoid leaving fuel in tank. lines and carb for extended periods of time. I prefer to run 'em dry at the end of season.

If you have a straight shaft trimmer, grease the gear head occasionally--depending on how hard you use it--over greasing will push grease into the tube.

When all else fails, use common sense.

If you don't have Tanaka/RedMax dealers in your area, I have noticed that one online dealer that handles both, www.wiseequipment.net.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick33914 View Post
Recently I bought a Tanaka TBC-260pf trimmer I was thinking about cleaning or changing the air filters on them.
Where can I buy such air filters, or could I just clean them and how so?
Follow the link here, it should take you directly to your model, you can down load the parts and owner manuals, every thing you need to know should be there. Also if you put in your zip code, it will locate the nearest dealer . If you have the 5 inch semi auto head that came with the unit, I would get a spare reel/ball and spring.

http://www.tanaka-usa.com/main-navig...=329,341&p=879

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 07-15-2014, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

take the muffler off the redmax occasionally and clean out the carbon build up in the exhaust port. Thats the best way to restore lost power!
Old 07-15-2014, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do everything Dutch said. I have a smaller Tanaka trimmer the 21cc straight shaft EASSLP. I love it's light weight and balence, the price was good and it is rated at 300 hours (commercial). But, the exhaust opening is very small. Even though I haven't clogged mine with carbon yet, the very small opening makes it look like it would be easy to do. The fuel lines on Tanaka's are said to be poor at resisting ethanol degradation - would probably be a good idea to replace them with tygon from the get go if you have ethanol in the fuel you use.

The Tanaka 5 year warranty is a huge selling tool for them, but their servicing dealership network is almost non-existant. There are places that sell them, but very few that will actually work on them, from what I've heard. Too bad, because they appear to be well made and get good reviews from those who have used them. Hitachi trimmers are rebadged Tanakas.

Tags
2 stroke , blower , cleaning , maintenance , trimmer