Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-13-2015, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Member

2012 Toro T-Bar Turbo Force

I had the unfortunate luck of my 48" Lesco that I was borrowing loose a compression release so it was not worth putting anymore of my money into it. It had single wheel velke and bagger with kawi fv420c engine. Current owner has it for sale in Pennsauken NJ. I picked up a 2012 bought in 2013 Toro 48" turboforce tbar mower with around 50 hours on it with dual wheel velke and grass gobbler bag. The underside does not look like it was ever cleaned it was so jammed up with dried grass clippings all over spindles and both sides of the baffle. I dont see how the brake lever is supposed to work it appears to be 2 inches too short to lock into place on the tbar. Also whats the deal with this adjustable baffle where should it be mainly used so I dont have to keep adjusting it day to day?
Old 08-13-2015, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yuuuup.

That brake lever is one of the BIGGEST POS improvement they made, among other things, it used to be longer but they don't make that anymore. I still have two of the longer kind but that short sorry Piece of junk if you adjust it to where the parking brake sets you will also clamp your fingers between the bars during operation.
I use a short piece of pipe instead, worst part is when I go to release the brake the pipe has to be stored someplace because it won't attach.
I'm presently looking at some C or U channel pipe to see if I can make one that works.

As for the baffle, that's more nonsense since you can't win either way.
I thought about removing it completely, but wasn't sure how that would work out.
I set mine to the middle setting, best case compromise.

Hate the deck, it's heavy, also the entire machine is at least 50 if not 100 pounds heavier than the earlier models.
And since they stuck that little steel reinforcement on the outer left side it's not a true 48" deck but rather closer to 48.5", you'll notice the difference if you have a mower to compare it to, the Turbo Force does NOT fit through quite as many gates because of that extra 1/2"

Sorry to rant but they really outdid themselves in the crap production department when they replaced the old 30197 with this thing.
I have two, still totally prefer the other two even thou they're a lot older.

Last edited by herler; 08-13-2015 at 01:19 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Well I hope I dont regret this purchase.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutsForCancer View Post
Well I hope I dont regret this purchase.
Overall it's not that bad, the Kawasaki does rock compared to the old single cylinder Kohlers. They also did good in the one piece deck belt department, thou it does tend to rub against the pulley brake hardware you'll want to look out for that, for new operators I'm sure the heavy front end is actually a good thing. Cut-wise the large chute is great for dispersal, they did good here as this mower can get rid of large amounts of grass in short order. I mean it's not all bad, just a few things I like to get irritated about but overall it's not a bad machine.

Here's the pipe piece I used, I unhooked that brake bar and cut a piece of pipe to size, it's not attached I just stick it in there to set the brake (oh and something still has to go through the hole in the T-bar as that holds it onto the lower portion):
Attached Images