Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-15-2014, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Kohler wont run when not choked... FIX

I just wanted to share something that took me a while to figure out. I'll start with the story a few weeks back. I have a Gravely with a kohler command pro 27 HP engine, it started in miss on one cylinder off and on. Ive seen this issue before on the DSAI coils that come on these engines. I was going to replace the coil on a down day, you know how it goes. Well one late Friday afternoon I pull up to a customers property, go to start the mower (it had been running several times that day already) and it starts for a couple seconds... backfires and then dies. I try to restart and it is D E A D... nothing. After a few moments of thinking I check the ignition fuse, its blown. I run to the closest store and grab a pack and pop one in... as soon as i turn the key it pops another. The long and short of this was it ended up basically melting one of the coils. So i call around and find a small engine shop and a very smart man there advised that i get way away from the DSAI coils and do a conversion to the old style coils. The part number for the kit is 2570703-s for anyone needing it. Anyone who has to change one of the DSAI coils is better off to do this conversion BTW. So back to the story, I get the coils installed and the engine put back together, turn the ignition key on and she starts right up..... BUT then the starter starts randomly engaging. After another hour and a test light I find that there is power backfeeding to the ignition wire through a diode set under the engine shroud in the wiring. So I get super lucky and find a couple diodes in my shop that are close enough to get the ole girl up and running. All is well and we are back in service. Now we fast forward to present when I suddenly get an issue with the engine running when not choked. So basically it would start and run only when fully chocked. I do a couple basic things, filter, yadda yadda yadda, and still acts like its not getting fuel. So I decided to pull the carb and do a rebuilt. I get the kits for like $45 from a shop and go after it, no issues get the thing back together and.... Same ole thing. I'm red mad at this point but it dawned on me that the diodes I had put in were smaller than the ones that came from factory and it might have cooked one. The one important thing those diodes do it power the fuel cutoff solenoid on the bowl of the carburetor. So for now i pulled the pin out of the solenoid and its running like a champ. Just wanted to share these to maybe help someone else down the road.

TLDR: Replace DSAI coils with older style coils when one goes bad, check the diodes, and if it wont run unless fully choked check the fuel cutoff solenoid on the carb.