Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-21-2012, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Roger, thanks for your super fast reply. My cable number is 54630-VH7-A02. When I read the posts on the "cable conversion kit", it seems like that kit is for older models that now must use the A02 cable. At least that is how it appears to me. My mower is only around 5 years old. I tried to look up pictures of the kit just to be sure but couldn't find anything useful as I thought perhaps that could be a factor. Something is amiss however, as when I installed the cable last year, I had to adjust the nuts at the control lever to the extreme end of the adjustment in order to get the mower to move forward at what I think is pretty slow anyway. Of course, I can get to the cable quite quickly now after doing this twice, but would like to resolve this before reassembly this time if i can do it before the lawn needs its next mowing. I haven't posted pictures to this site yet but if it will help, I will draw a picture of the lever and loop and post it. I don't think I can take a picture that will be helpful but I can try that too. larry
Old 04-21-2012, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Member

here are two pictures that show the cable "installed" on lever
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2012, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Roger

Roger - I had to register for this site just to say Thank You for taking the time to post instructions and pictures for the Honda Transmission cable replacement.

You saved me a tons of time and cussing!

Thanks again!

Hoosemon
Old 04-30-2012, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hoosemon, you are welcome. I am glad it was useful to you.

I never dreamed that this thread would still have legs. Obviously, many posts are included in the thread, but I've also handled many PMs as well. Clearly, my post has created much more response than any other LS thread that I've started.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Would this belt & cable replacement issue you're all doing be covered by honda's 5yr warranty on this mower (I understand it's quicker & easier for everyone here to just do it themselves, I'm just curious)?

And what's the difference between the hrx hydrostatic drive that makes it not free roll in reverse, where the hrc does?
Old 08-13-2012, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have no idea about the warranty. Like you stated, it is quicker to do these repairs yourself that wait for somebody else to do them, warranty or not.

The HRX217 does roll free in reverse. I'm not sure what your question means.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post

The HRX217 does roll free in reverse. I'm not sure what your question means.
Oh, okay. I just noticed some resistance when rolling the hrx217 on showroom floors, compared to snappers & even honda's own hrc216 models, which all rolled much smoother. Either way it's obviously not much of a real world issue if you haven't even noticed the increased resistance.

Actually even snappers have a little resistance, but still less than the hrx. The hrc216 is most impressive- it rolls just as freely as its push hrc version, & I was just curious why. Figured you guys who have gone this far into them might know (sorry for the off topic).
Old 08-13-2012, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon2245 View Post
Oh, okay. I just noticed some resistance when rolling the hrx217 on showroom floors, compared to snappers & even honda's own hrc216 models, which all rolled much smoother. Either way it's obviously not much of a real world issue if you haven't even noticed the increased resistance.

Actually even snappers have a little resistance, but still less than the hrx. The hrc216 is most impressive- it rolls just as freely as its push hrc version, & I was just curious why. Figured you guys who have gone this far into them might know (sorry for the off topic).
The pinion gear coming from the outboard shaft of the transmission remains engaged in a ring gear on the wheel. The pinion gear has a spring-loaded cog that engages in one direction,but has tapered inset for reverse motion. The gears remain engaged at all times, so when the mower is pulled backwards, the pinion rotates on the shaft, with the cogs cycling across the tapered insets. You will hear clicking when pulling in reverse (while mower is shut down), as the cogs pass across the insets.

Other mowers may have a complete release, making them feel different when pulling in reverse.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, I thought something was resisting there. Shame they just didn,t replicate the hrc's drive.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon2245 View Post
Thanks, I thought something was resisting there. Shame they just didn,t replicate the hrc's drive.
More and more replications of the HRC, then you have the price of an HRC.