Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-02-2009, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello everyone marketing

Hello i am new to this site as of about 10 min ago i wanted to know from some landscapers what was the best way you found to advertise i have 10 lawns and looking to get around 60 or so i heard door hangers work well but i am open to suggestions thank you Jeremy
Old 07-03-2009, 02:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Marketing on a Shoestring

This is a particular concern for all kinds of small business startups. Until you build up a customer base, money is probably in extra-short supply. You know you need to advertise, but advertising costs money. Classic Catch-22.

Roy Williams (aka "The Wizard of Ads") wrote a neat article a few years back dealing with this very subject - marketing on a shoestring budget. His first observation was that Time and Money are Interchangeable. When you're short on one, you can spend the other.

So, your friend who suggested door hangers or flyers had a good idea. Make the most of the occasion though. Have some sort of irresistable introductory offer, to get people to try you for the first time. That's the toughest hurdle you'll face. It's much easier to retain a customer than it is to win a new one. Be willing to give up some profit for that first deal, knowing that the odds are in your favor that you'll more than make it back over the life of a new customer relationship that you've just opened.

Those ten customers you already have? Ask each one of them to recommend you to a friend or acquaintance. Consider offering a one-time reward/discount/credit to both the new customer and the one making the referral. It costs you nothing unless and until the new person becomes a customer - at which point, it's well worth it.

Regardless of the business you're in, to the extent that you're working on your business, you're in marketing. Make the most of it!

Best of success to you.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodSpots View Post
This is a particular concern for all kinds of small business startups. Until you build up a customer base, money is probably in extra-short supply. You know you need to advertise, but advertising costs money. Classic Catch-22.

Roy Williams (aka "The Wizard of Ads") wrote a neat article a few years back dealing with this very subject - marketing on a shoestring budget. His first observation was that Time and Money are Interchangeable. When you're short on one, you can spend the other.

So, your friend who suggested door hangers or flyers had a good idea. Make the most of the occasion though. Have some sort of irresistable introductory offer, to get people to try you for the first time. That's the toughest hurdle you'll face. It's much easier to retain a customer than it is to win a new one. Be willing to give up some profit for that first deal, knowing that the odds are in your favor that you'll more than make it back over the life of a new customer relationship that you've just opened.

Those ten customers you already have? Ask each one of them to recommend you to a friend or acquaintance. Consider offering a one-time reward/discount/credit to both the new customer and the one making the referral. It costs you nothing unless and until the new person becomes a customer - at which point, it's well worth it.

Regardless of the business you're in, to the extent that you're working on your business, you're in marketing. Make the most of it!

Best of success to you.
thanks for the rply that is helpful and i think i might try to do something like refer me to a friend or aquantance and i will give you a free mow that would work very well i believe
Old 07-03-2009, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Check out the book Guerilla Marketing, it deals with marketing a small business when money is in short supply.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go to RNDSIGNS.COM to see hundreds of advertising ideas from lawn and landscape companys from all over the U.S. Request a FREE marketing handbook.