Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-03-2009, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Cost of Irrigation System

I am toying with the idea of having an irrigation system installed this fall. I have not consulted with any professionals in my area. I understand if this is not possible, but could someone give me ballpark of what my costs might be? I mow about 7/10 of an acre.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshfcb View Post
I am toying with the idea of having an irrigation system installed this fall. I have not consulted with any professionals in my area. I understand if this is not possible, but could someone give me ballpark of what my costs might be? I mow about 7/10 of an acre.

Thanks in advance.
This will be close:
Digging a well runs between $10.00-$14.00/ft. Generally in TN the average well is between 400-500ft.
Installing the pump with tank and well controllers is generally between $1200-$2000.
Irrigation with controller, valves,line, and heads, heads and ditchwitch generally runs about $700-$1000 for the first 100ft and $350-$400/100ft thereafter.

If you were on the coast, a well, pump,and tank would run $1200 from me but we're only going 20'.

Our TN wells go down about 20', hit bedrock and drill from there on. The dirt which is upper 20' has got to be cased with iron/steel and takes sometimes a month to dig if you can get a rig.

Add up all of that cost for a well which is about $10,000 and average cost that over public water if available and compare.

I'd call a well-digger and ask him the averages in your particular area, however the irrigation part will be fairly close. I'd call one of those landscape places and ask the cost of digging, and installing X number of heads with controller. Most residential heads will cover 45' in one direction. However, most installer suggest a 100% coverage meaning that one head should almost touch the next one and the opposite side be installed accordingly only in a running bond pattern (like brickwork).

It's expensive.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

depending on water pressure, I would ballpark 3 zones for grass, and 1 zone for plants. If you budget around $600 per zone, or $2400 I would think you would be safe.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelton View Post
depending on water pressure, I would ballpark 3 zones for grass, and 1 zone for plants. If you budget around $600 per zone, or $2400 I would think you would be safe.
Only three zones for .7 acres of grass? I have about 20K sqft of grass irrigated and have four zones for it. Even with each zone putting out 28gpm at 50psi, the zone with the most heads (12) can only use Hunter #3, #5, and #8 PGP rotor nozzles (I think) depending on the radius of the head. That means I have to water for a long time for that zone (1:30 twice a week at least) to get a decent amount of water down.
If any provision of this post is, for any reason, held to be invalid, incorrect, or indefensible, the other provisions of this post will be unimpaired and the invalid, incorrect, or indefensible provision will be deemed modified so that it is valid, correct, and defensible to the maximum extent permitted by law.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It all depends on shape, water supply obstacles , permits ect. . Without that info a ballpark is $2-$5 k
Old 07-09-2009, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Member

more information

My lot is 1/3 acre and it already had a irrigation system in when I bought the house. We have 7 zones and most of the zones have 3 heads in them. I think this is the max as recommend by the Hunter brand of heads we have. Also my sprinklers do not just barely overlap...it is probably like 1 foot overlap. In one zone we run this run time to 23 minutes and most zones that cover the yard we run 23 minutes. We have 2 bush zones and they are run 1 minute or less...bushes are rather hardy so I do not spend time watering them. Its the grass that needs water LOL. So all in all the sprinkler runs for 2 hours starting at 3:30am. I have noticed that my water bill in the summer compared to winter time is about $80 more...of course in the summer time we are more liberal with water you know baths for the kids are not a hurried bath as opposed to winter time.

I got a bit o advice for you. Learn how to change head of your particular brand alons with the nozzle. This is really easy and the irrigation companies charge $175 for my first head change and this is for two guys..one SR Tech and one JR Tech. Heck...I changed it myself in 30 minutes and with a $9 nozzle LOL...but I learn fast and think everyone should do this. Most of the work is in digging out the head and making sure not to cut the plastic pipe or bard pvc type hose.

I do not know how much it would cost to install but I actually think you could do it yourself. It will probably cost about $5k to install to a 1/3 ac yard where where there are many expensive homes. This is a guess but this is based on how expensive it is to get landscaping done and fencing done.