Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-12-2002, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Blown Off Appointments

What do you guys do in the event that you showup for an appointment (time set) and the homeowner is not their? Assume it is a installation / app bid. Do you charge for the second trip is blown off again?

jf
Old 04-12-2002, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I remember them.

When I show and if no one is there, I'll call their number and leave a message after waiting ten minutes.

If they call back and then blow you off a second time, I'd mark the name and if they ever call back again - I'd remind them of the missed appointment. Tell them to come back out again will require a $75.00 check for your consulting fee. Once your receive it, you'll call them to schedule an appointment. Ok, ok - would I really do this... probably not because I let people walk over me too much.

If they blow you off the second time, what I would probably do is write them a quick note and mail it to them. Letting them know you had the date and time down, don't know if there was a miscommunication or misunderstanding as to the time to meet. Maybe there was an emergency or a legitimate reason. Let them know you're still interested in talking with them and if they would like to reschedule to call you. Will they call you? Probably not out of embarassment. You'll have to contact them.

If they do call back in response to your note, explain that you were disappointed they didn't show (depending on the tone of the conversation, the reason they didn't show and how bad they want you to come out will depend on how hard you rub it in). I would then reschedule the third meeting, make sure all the i's are dotted and t's crossed. Then let them know if they don't make their third appointment with you that you'll send them a bill for your consulting time at $xx an rate. Make it punitive. 2.0 hours of time at $75 an hour or some such thing. If they can't make it, they have to call you in advance to let you know.

Your time is worth something... but at the same time, if they don't work with you, they'll just find someone else. They think contractors are a dime a dozen.
Old 04-12-2002, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If someone blew me off once I would charge them for it on the second trip somehow, or add it in to the bid

If someone blew me off twice I WOULD NEVER SET ANOTHER APPOINTMENT WITH THEM AGAIN.....are you crazy? If they will blow you off before they are your client, what about when they owe you money?

That is why we have threads about PITA'S it's because we allow it. Do not let someone abuse your time. EVER

All the time, well at least once per month, someone will stand us up for a repair appointment. They almost NEVER call back. Some people schedule more than one appointment and whoever gets there first gets the work, the rest just suffer. We always call when on the way now and if no answer we DON'T GO. not worth it guys.
Old 04-13-2002, 02:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Once...okay, I can understand that, stuff happens, things come up, we're all human right? Second? Okay, that's pushing it, but if it was an emergency or something it's okay, BUT if I'm out there a 3rd time there would be a fee. Don't let people yank your chains...

Hank
Old 04-13-2002, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Member

We have virtually eliminated this problem A simple phone call 24 hours before the appointment to remind them of the date, time, and what the appointment is about keeps the appointment fresh in their mind. If they are not home, we leave this message and tell them if they can't keep the appointment, please call us and we will reschedule. I can't recall a single missed meeting since we've done this. Its common practice, dentist, doctors, and even our vet uses reminder calls.
Old 04-13-2002, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea. John that was the same route I was headed... it makes sense..

thanks to all
Old 04-13-2002, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

:alien:

Hey Grassman

Remember the saying,,, F- me once shame on you, F- me twice shame on me,,,lol.

steve