Register free!

Old 07-03-2009, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Is the 12v charging for your ride-on, tractor, or truck not keeping up with the load?

I'm installing alternate batteries and an intelligent isolator to keep up with the electrical load (i.e. multiple high capacity 12v pumps, foamer, etc) on my UTV sprayer. Installing a high capacity alternator or otherwise increasing the output of the charging system is either not an option or pratical. More on that subject below.

My goal is to: 1.) isolate the extra load so it doesn't frying my charging system. 2.) keep everything running a peak capacity. 3.) not kill my starting battery.

In my case, the 12 volt charging system is a magneto/stator and it won't keep up with the load. Therefore, I could experience any one or all of the nasties above. It's not practical to rewind the stator for a maybe 15 percent gain. So, I'm adding deep cycle batteries to power my excess load and isolate my primary battery and charging system. Whenever the primary (starting) battery is charged to 13.2 volts, the chariging system switches over to charge the deep cycle batteries.

If there's an interest, I'll share the information.

Have a great Independence Day everyone... particulary this one

Tools of the trade:
FIMCO
GRASSHOPPER
KUBOTA TRACTOR
F450 DUMP
AERAVATOR
LAWNAIRE
SPYKER
STIHL
LS REVITALIZER
Old 07-04-2009, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is a good question to ask. My spray rig is on a 2008 Ram 3500 CTD. If I am running the boom, also plugged in is a Teejet 834 controller and a foam marker. Have not seen any problems yet, but the truck does have two batteries as standard equipment and an HO alternator.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-05-2009, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
That is a good question to ask. My spray rig is on a 2008 Ram 3500 CTD. If I am running the boom, also plugged in is a Teejet 834 controller and a foam marker. Have not seen any problems yet, but the truck does have two batteries as standard equipment and an HO alternator.
I'm guessing your Dodge Ram is a diesel. If that's the case, then they are set up start batteries. I'm not familiar with how Dodge handles charging of dual start batteries. The HO alternator is a great plus and is probably putting out 95 amps or more. I wouldn't think you would ever have a problem as long as the engine is running. On the other hand, if you are running electric pumps, hose reels and lights with the engine off, you might want to find out if your batteries are isolated. You don't want them both discharging and risk depleting them.

Tools of the trade:
FIMCO
GRASSHOPPER
KUBOTA TRACTOR
F450 DUMP
AERAVATOR
LAWNAIRE
SPYKER
STIHL
LS REVITALIZER
Old 07-05-2009, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

No electric pump. Can you imagine pumping 9 GPM through an electric. The heart of the system is a 6.5HP gas engine and a Hypro D30. Yes, the engine is running when all of that other stuff is on.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738