Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-03-2009, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Hydro Oil Consumption

I have a Everride Hornet with 23 hours on it. It was 2-3 years old when I bought it (still in crate). I changed the hydro oil at 8.8 (Oct. 08) hours since it was already 2-3 years old. I filled it to the oil, bleed the system and re-filled.

I only use this mower for my yard. I now have 23 hours on it and I just opened the aluminum hydro tank to check the oil level. The level when down a little bit. Maybe an once or 2. I can tell because these tanks have a baffle that you are suppose to just cover with oil. The baffle is about 3mm thick. Now the oil lever does not cover the baffle but still touches it from under.

Is it normal for a hydro system to loose a bit of oil over time? I haven't put many hours on it but its been 9 months since I added oil. I'm think you loose a tiny bit to seals and fittings?

I checked the fittings and it doesn't appear to have a leak, one or 2 of them looked as though oil may have seeped out a bit. Similiar to a seal on an engine.

Thoughts?
Old 07-04-2009, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It could just be lower from checking it at different temps. You hydro system should not use any oil, Its not like an engine that burns oil. Just check all your fittings and hoses for leaks, If you have no leaks then you are ok.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I do not think you lost any oil. I think there was just more air in the system than you though there was.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerknower View Post
It could just be lower from checking it at different temps. You hydro system should not use any oil, Its not like an engine that burns oil. Just check all your fittings and hoses for leaks, If you have no leaks then you are ok.

That is a great point! I hadn't considered the temp of the oil. When I checked it last Fall after purging the oil was hot (warm) from running through 4 purging cycles. When I checked it the other day the unit hadn't been run yet.

2 of the low pressure fittings from the tank to the pump had a very thin film on them, almost like oil but I'm not sure. Could have been just dirt/grim. It Certainly wasn't gunky like you'd expect for a true leak.

Thanks!