Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-04-2009, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How much can a Tri Axle hold?

Approximately how many tons can a Tri Axle dump hold legally?
01 Toro Proline Hydro 44" jrco dethatcher, leaf plow and accelerator bagger
Lesco 36" Commercial
Homemade Log Splitter 33 ton 8 Hp Briggs
Billy Goat 16 HP Leaf Loader
Shindaiwa EB 630 & EB 802
Little Wonder 5 hp Blower
Shindaiwa T192
Stihl FS 90 Power Broom
Stihl MS 390, 210 and 192T
Stihl HS 45
Bunch of other stuff
Old 07-04-2009, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

oh you did have to throw the word legally in there.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A triaxle should gross at least 66k; 20K front 12K drop 34K tandem. As far as payload, mostly depends on tare weight.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I used to haul about 25 tons safely without pushing the limit on legality + it depends on how the weight is distributed over the axles. I used to come out of a rock quarry and the DOT would be waiting at the bottom of the hill to weigh the axles on trucks going by. I've had to climb in the bed with a shovel and move gravel around before.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, in Alabama, max gross weight is 80k... trucks with light weight beds can haul 27 tons; the rock beds haul maybe 24-25 tons.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Member

We don't have triaxle trucks but tridrive trucks ie trucks with 3 drive axles. Anyhow they have a 21 foot box and usually haul about 23 tons of material and that is a heavy load the max gross weight on the truck is 73,000lbs

A regular tandem axle with a 16 foot box is 57,500lbs that only hauls 15 tons legally.

It all depends on the material you want some gravels are heavy so you can only get so many yards into a truck.

Trucks here are paid by the hour so nobody overloads the trucks its not worth it. When your getting 90-100 dollars per hour for a tandem axle dump more trips more money. A Tridrive dump your looking at 120-125 dollars per hour. Truck with a end dump prolly close to 130 dollars per hour.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
We don't have triaxle trucks but tridrive trucks ie trucks with 3 drive axles. Anyhow they have a 21 foot box and usually haul about 23 tons of material and that is a heavy load the max gross weight on the truck is 73,000lbs

A regular tandem axle with a 16 foot box is 57,500lbs that only hauls 15 tons legally.

It all depends on the material you want some gravels are heavy so you can only get so many yards into a truck.

Trucks here are paid by the hour so nobody overloads the trucks its not worth it. When your getting 90-100 dollars per hour for a tandem axle dump more trips more money. A Tridrive dump your looking at 120-125 dollars per hour. Truck with a end dump prolly close to 130 dollars per hour.
You won't get those figures in Ga. It's like lawn service around here-people working for pennies and everyone has a dump. I thought about a tandem several years ago because I drove for years but I had a friend warn me against it. He claimed the fuel and maintenance were killing him! He went under after owning two trucks for 10 years. I had an uncle who had driven Class A for 30+ years quite a few years ago(He lived and breathed it, drove 20 out of 24 hrs-No lie!) and he tried to own his own truck for a while. He gave it up because of the maintenance-Drive 6 days/wk. and work on the truck on Sunday-No thanks.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybravo8802 View Post
You won't get those figures in Ga. It's like lawn service around here-people working for pennies and everyone has a dump. I thought about a tandem several years ago because I drove for years but I had a friend warn me against it. He claimed the fuel and maintenance were killing him! He went under after owning two trucks for 10 years. I had an uncle who had driven Class A for 30+ years quite a few years ago(He lived and breathed it, drove 20 out of 24 hrs-No lie!) and he tried to own his own truck for a while. He gave it up because of the maintenance-Drive 6 days/wk. and work on the truck on Sunday-No thanks.
I know some small trucking outfits; it is a hard road. Trucks usually only make sense if you are doing something that can keep a truck busy all the time, like big excavating, roadbuilding, etc.

It's like anything else, I guess. If you can keep it busy for a reasonable rate, it might work out. If it's going to sit around or if the market is flooded and you have to work for free, you're just going broke.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Dump trucking isn't a big money maker. Around here nobody cuts their rate they all stick together so the hourly rate stays the same.

The dump truck rate went from 65 dollars to 100 dollars in 5 years.

Nobody is going to under cut the rate because they don't want to loose money. The only way you make money is if it is at 100 dollars per hour. Diesel fuel is up to 3.70 a gallon drive tires are 600 dollars each steer tires are 1200 dollars each. To reshod a tandem axle with tires your looking at 7200 dollars. Steer tires last about 6 months drive tires last about a year.

The tridrive dump trucks the ones with 3 drive axles you can expect to pay 9600 dollars in tires each year. Tridrive dump trucks are actually worse on tires because of the scrub. On a hot day with hot pavement and make a sharp turn there is enough black marks you would think somebody was doing a brake stand.

Dump trucks are a necessity for a excavation contractor you can't be waiting for a truck owned by somebody else hauling gravel for you. Even a small contractor can pay upwards of 200,000 dollars a year in trucking fees.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
Dump trucking isn't a big money maker. Around here nobody cuts their rate they all stick together so the hourly rate stays the same.

The dump truck rate went from 65 dollars to 100 dollars in 5 years.

Nobody is going to under cut the rate because they don't want to loose money. The only way you make money is if it is at 100 dollars per hour. Diesel fuel is up to 3.70 a gallon drive tires are 600 dollars each steer tires are 1200 dollars each. To reshod a tandem axle with tires your looking at 7200 dollars. Steer tires last about 6 months drive tires last about a year.

The tridrive dump trucks the ones with 3 drive axles you can expect to pay 9600 dollars in tires each year. Tridrive dump trucks are actually worse on tires because of the scrub. On a hot day with hot pavement and make a sharp turn there is enough black marks you would think somebody was doing a brake stand.

Dump trucks are a necessity for a excavation contractor you can't be waiting for a truck owned by somebody else hauling gravel for you. Even a small contractor can pay upwards of 200,000 dollars a year in trucking fees.
Trust me, people will drop prices when times get tough enough-just take a look at this industry. People are working for nothing in this business, just to say they are working and with a lot of overhead. I could have bought several dump trucks with what I've spent on mowers.