Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-08-2015, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Member

My new (used!) Cat 216B2

Hi all,

Greetings from down under. This is my first post. Looks like this forum contains a wealth of knowledge.

I recently purchased a used 2009 Cat 216B2 with 2400hrs (it was my christmas present to myself!). I purchased it for 'recreational' use on my small property (around 4 acres) so it wont be doing any hard work and I anticipate only doing around 200hrs a year.

My uneducated friends keep asking 'why the hell did you buy a bobcat?'. After first correcting them that is a 'skid steer', I tell them that I have always wanted to own one - ever since I was a kid!

The unit appears to be in very good condition - it was previously owned by a landscaping business so I dont think it had an overly hard life. Service has been very regular at a reputable service centre. Loader arm seems tight and the 4in1 bucket is straight.

I just have a couple of questions which I hope someone more experienced than me (a first time rookie) can help me with:

1. The unit seemed quite clean, but when I tilted the cab back last night I found a significant amount of dirt collected on top of the under tray. I unbolted a panel at the base an a lot of dirt fell out. Can I use a high pressure water spray to clean this area out and get rid of the accumulated dirt i.e. the water wont damage anything in this area? There is a fuse box in the vicinity but I will try and protect it.

2. The only leak that I have found (which the dealer told me about straight away) is from one of the 4in1 bucket rams. I presume I can just remove the ram and get a new seal installed (rather than buying a whole new ram)?

3. The unit does not have a cab door - and after spending a couple of hours working in dry dust last week (yes, its summer here in Australia!) I was absolutely covered. Has anyone had experience with retrofitting cab doors. Does an AC unit/cab air filtration system need to be installed if you have a cab door installed? Approximate cost?

4. Anything else that a novice needs to know? I respect the machine and understand how dangerous it can be. I also know to perform regular maintenance such as greasing all points regularly, checking filters etc.

I would post a pic of my new 'toy' but not sure how??

Thanks in advance everyone.

Last edited by AussieCat; 01-08-2015 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Added a question
Old 01-08-2015, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Member

1. I would think blowing it with compressed air might be a better choice so as not to get any electronics wet.
2. I'm not totally familiar with the Cat brand but I'm sure you can repair the cylinder instead of buying a new one.
3. I'm sure you can put a door on. From personal experience I can tell you that if you are operating it in hot weather, you will really want AC. I have no idea what it would cost to retrofit, but I am betting it is kind of costly.
4.Not sure what else to say, other than make sure to keep fluids and filters changed per service intervals, and keep tires up to specified pressures, and it will perform like the great machine it is.

I bought a skid steer last fall. I looked at Cat skid steers and they are a great machine. I ended up buying a 2011 Bobcat S650, with 580 hours. It has a cab, AC, heat, 2 speed, and I really like it. We bought it for removal of cedar trees with a tree shear, but we have used it more for building maintenance and snow removal. To upload pictures, you go below the message and manage attachments, and you can upload pictures. If I did it right, you will see a picture of my Bobcat. I hope you can upload a pic of your machine.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2015, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks ReRide.

1. Compressed air wont work. There is a *significant* amount of 'solid' dirt sitting on the under tray. It is more solid in consistency than mud. I am using a long timber stake to get in there and break it up a bit. Then I was hoping to spray a jet of water onto it to force it out of the large opening that was created after I removed the base access panel.

That bobcat looks like a nice rig, looks like it is brand new!!

I have tried uploading 3 pics - hope it works. The first 2 pics were taken on the day it was delivered to me (about 3 weeks ago) so I have given it a decent external clean since then.

The last pic is looking into the area with the mud - looking down into the machine after I tilted back the cab. It may be a bit hard to pick up in the photo, but at the very base there is a heap of dirt that I want to clean out (several inches thick). Hoping to one major clean now, making it easier to do periodical cleans later to keep the unit in good shape. I've gotta look after my new toy!
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2015, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes power wash the snot out of it. You won't hurt anything. If you want to be a real nut take all the electrical connections apart and put a good lick of grease on them. Put them back together and the. Wash it. Park it on a incline so the water and mud will rush out the belly pan.

Do you have side windows?
Did it ever have a door on it? Hinges still there?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2015, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Great...thats what I wanted to hear!! I have also been told by a friend of mine who works with a civil contracting company that water wont hurt it. I will blast it tonight!

You mention to grease the electrical connections - so you mean that I should unplug them, put some grease on the pins/connectors, and then replug them? This doesnt impact the operation of the plugs?? Would my normal grease that I use on the grease nipples be ok to use in this application? I guess it makes sense to do this but just goes against my normal instinct to keep electrical connections as clean as possible!!

Yes, it has side windows. But no door hinges (I therefore assume it has never been fitted with a door).
Old 01-08-2015, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would go buy dielectric grease. That's what it's made for.

Having side windows makes me think it would have had a front door at one time but you guys do things different over there. I'm sure you could make a cat door fit.

Ultimately water won't hurt the connections but corrosion will. If you of the connections isn't tight or a seal is loose water will get in and mixed with the electrical charge it will cause corrosion. If it were me I would just wash it and not worry about this. If you were washing it 10 times a week it might become a problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2015, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Use dielectric grease. Then power wash the snot out of everything. Just don't directly hit the electronics with the spray but they will be fine.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Great, thanks guys. I will grab some dielectric grease on the way home from work today
Old 01-09-2015, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Member

I will post some before and after photos when I clean out all the debris....hopefully I'll uncover some nice yellow paint under there somewhere!
Old 01-11-2015, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Howdy,

I spent all of Saturday giving my unit the star treatment. It wasnt an easy task removing the built up compacted dirt in every nook and cranny of the engine/hydraulics bay but I eventually got there in the end.

It seemed as though I had removed a heap of dirt - as is evidenced by what was left on the grass after I had finished.

Anyhow, see below the before and after photos......nice to see some yellow paint!
Attached Images