Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-04-2009, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Aube timers resetting

I have 2 Aube timers that keep losing the program. These are brand new units. Has anyone else had an issue with them and had to replace them ?

When I arrived on site last week it was flashing as if it had lost power but no power was lost on the one for the front yard. Another one on another property same thing. I have about 2 dozen of these installed but 2 failures out of 24 isnt acceptable to me.

I reprogrammed it and it worked fine that night but the next day nada.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have about a hundred or more Aube timers out in the field. I have had some reliability issues with certain units but never the problem you are describing. (are you using the heavy duty unit rated for 2400W or the light duty?)

The issues I have encountered are more along the line of showing up to find the display garbled and the manual override function not working. I simply change out the unit and send back for warranty replacement. In 2007/2008 I had to send back 8 units, Aube refunded my money on those. I keep 5 in my truck at all times.

Bottom line they still outperform the Intermatic 'astro' timers! They are more accurate, they last longer, and they do not require a honking big back up battery that can become a big issue. I always have blamed our harsh environment (I install the timers inside NS powercenters) for the issues.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 07-05-2009, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Works Lighting View Post
I have about a hundred or more Aube timers out in the field. I have had some reliability issues with certain units but never the problem you are describing. (are you using the heavy duty unit rated for 2400W or the light duty?)

The issues I have encountered are more along the line of showing up to find the display garbled and the manual override function not working. I simply change out the unit and send back for warranty replacement. In 2007/2008 I had to send back 8 units, Aube refunded my money on those. I keep 5 in my truck at all times.

Bottom line they still outperform the Intermatic 'astro' timers! They are more accurate, they last longer, and they do not require a honking big back up battery that can become a big issue. I always have blamed our harsh environment (I install the timers inside NS powercenters) for the issues.
Yes they are heavy duty 2400w ones. I can actually get these cheaper than the light duty ones. I think they are T 1053 for the model number. I am just going to replace them and hopefully be done. I just wasnt sure if there was another problem I needed to look for or if someone knew of a solution.

I have also placed these in the Gambino transformers with good results but it seems to be the J box replacement switch ones that are giving me issues. This particular property has 4 gambino transformers on it and 2 Aubes controlling them. one for front one for back. Back is mounted in a flip cover on a brick colum that replaced the switch for the existing line voltage lighting we removed when we installed the low voltage.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

James what do you when d.s.t comes into play? Or do you still use photocells so the on time is not a problem?

My only problem with the aube.... Why can they just account for d.s.t And maybe a backup battery that last more then a few hours
Old 07-07-2009, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&MLL View Post
James what do you when d.s.t comes into play? Or do you still use photocells so the on time is not a problem?

My only problem with the aube.... Why can they just account for d.s.t And maybe a backup battery that last more then a few hours
I dont have much issue with the DST and the Aube Timers.... You can either show your client how to press a button a few times to turn DST off, or you can let it ride and the lighting turns off an hour earlier in the winter (my clients rarely notice)

As for the battery backup in the Aube... it lasts much much longer than a few hours! I have had Aube timers that have been powered down for weeks at a time and when they are powered back up all of the data is still there.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 07-07-2009, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&MLL View Post

We too have 100's of the clocks in the field, other than experiencing what James did a couple of years ago, on a few of our clocks they have been trouble free. If you don't want to show your client how to set for dst, service them around the time of the change and incorporate into your service. We had an ice storm here last February, some without power for 3 weeks. Only had to reset one. Electronics perform better in colder climates but I have had the same success with work we have done in Florida and texas. A client of ours in houston, storm related outage for a week and a half, warmer time of year....no problems with the clock. We do not use photocells with this timer
C.O.L.D. (Certified Outdoor Lighting Designer)#1112
C.L.V.L.T. (Certified Low Voltage Lighting Technician)#0639
Old 07-17-2009, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I replaced the aubes in question with new units yesterday. I programmed them and we will see if they hold. There is a note in the instructions now on the troubleshooting chart that if there is unexplained resetting of the timer you will need to install a snubber at each load device on the timer.

one timer in question is controlling 2 transformers and 3 line voltage pillar lights from a single switch but the total load is around half the rated switch capacity. so it should not be an issue. I am using the tl035 timers. Is anyone using something different ?
Old 07-17-2009, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Billy, the only time I had a memory issue was when a client had a hard switch inside the home which they knew to leave on, but their cleaning lady didn't. It did take us a while to figure that one out, I kept thinking it was the timer. DST is a pita, but I agree with James to take the time to teach people how to use it. Oh, yeah: another issue I had with the memory, the system was based on a bad line voltage system, and during certain wet times of year the power is cut off, and the owner doesn't know it because they travel a lot.

I am doing a job right now where I opted for the mechanical timer and photocell.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

. Since there was also a switch before your timer in the system I wonder why you did not simply replace that switch as a means of controlling your system ??

On new construction I opt for the controls to be mounted inside and I create a half hot so I can light up my system for maint.

This is a very old house built back in 1912 and the pool area wiring where this timer in question is dates back to stranded wire on the line voltage. I think early 70's the pool was built. Still a very stunning area and even more so with my lighting.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Billy, I wonder if there is a way you can check for a constant circuit. If this happens frequently, hook up a mechanical timer and see if the time changes by several hours over the span of a couple weeks. That aube timer battery will only work for so long as a back up.

Could there be a switch on the circuit you don't know about?