Register free!

Old 07-21-2009, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Client just emailed. Timer tanked again. They just informed me that years ago they had a phone line in the same area that had alot of problems. I am thinking something like a shunt or power back feeding thru the ground. We will be having thier EC check more into it but more than likley we will be pulling a new UF from the panel to my transformers which will require some excavation then placing a Aube inside the Gambino transformers. We have not found a way to replace the wiring inside the brick wall yet that houses the AUbe.

Option 2 is I will try to offer up a ABT system and use a sequencer to control the other trans mounted 6 ft away.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Billy,
A couple of things. Have you checked the voltage at the switch? Hot to Ground, Neautral to Hot, Neautral to Ground.
This will tell you if you have voltage on the ground.
Inside the box of the brick wall is there conduit with wires coming into the box? How many wires are coming into the box? I can help you troubleshoot the electrical if you wish.

Ken
Old 07-22-2009, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks Ken.

I have checked all the wiring with my meter and all seems to be working just fine. 119v No voltage Nuetral to ground which should tell me if the ground or nuetral for that matter is shorted to the hot.

Its a double gang box with another switch that controls the underwater pool lights. We cant find a conduit ... It might be there and clogged up with mortar and such from when the wall was built. It isnt really a box in the wall but more like a mud ring.

We will meet with the EC soon and see about fixing it. I am thinking the problem is on the load side of the wiring. If there was a slight short to Earth would that be an inductive load thus capable of resetting my timer ?

With the age of the wiring there is no telling where it goes or who has done what over the years.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Billy,
sorry I am late getting back to you. There is one possibility here. Does your lighting system come on when the pool lights are off? The wires in that switch box could be connected in a manner that when you turn the switch off and on for the pool lights it also could be turning the feed off and on for the Aube timer. If this was the case then the timer would only last for a little while because the internal battery on the Aube would drain. Your lights may still work but the power to the timer is connected to the pool light switch.
I am sure the electrician will find this when he is troubleshooting with a meter.
Let us all know what the outcome is since it will be a learning experience for us.

Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Scapes View Post
Thanks Ken.

I have checked all the wiring with my meter and all seems to be working just fine. 119v No voltage Nuetral to ground which should tell me if the ground or nuetral for that matter is shorted to the hot.

Its a double gang box with another switch that controls the underwater pool lights. We cant find a conduit ... It might be there and clogged up with mortar and such from when the wall was built. It isnt really a box in the wall but more like a mud ring.

We will meet with the EC soon and see about fixing it. I am thinking the problem is on the load side of the wiring. If there was a slight short to Earth would that be an inductive load thus capable of resetting my timer ?

With the age of the wiring there is no telling where it goes or who has done what over the years.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ken.

The timer is always hot. No doubt about that. I am going near there today to install some probe osm's on a structure and will pop by and try to get some pics and poke around a bit more.

There is 2 seperate hot leads into this box. The pool lights and my lights are on a seperate breaker. The lines we are using used to feed the line voltage pathlighting around the pool. We had this all removed and connected to this line to feed our transformers.

The only thing on the switch is my 2 600w transformers and 3 pillar top lights operating at 40w ea I am still well below my rated power capacity. I am going to check the amps at the breaker and at the load side of the switch as soon as I can.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Just an update. We did more testing and also used a fault locator and saturated the ground with water in the beds around the pool and could not readily replicate a problem. When left for more than a day or 2 it would still lose its program.

I installed the switch at my house as a test and the switch is working as it should.

We removed the aubes from the property and installed an intermatic hardwire pool pump timer at the panel and wired a photocell onto that. The lights are working flawless and the client has a simple easy to use package he is thrilled with.

The problems with the Aubes at this location are still unexplained.