Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-05-2009, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Jacobsen Tiller

I got a really nice older Jacobsen tiller (52210, 11585) that needs a little tune up/repair. The guy I got it from took very good care of his equipment and was very handy. He said it wouldn't start this year, so he decided just to get rid of it. He's retired and planning on moving into a condo, so he has no need for it anymore anyways he said. There's no spark, and the plug looks like its in good shape. I think it needs an ignition coil? Sorry for the lack of pictures...the camera has been misplaced. I'll get some shots asap.Here's the engine info:

B&S
Model: 81902
Type: 945805
Serial: 6201310

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

DAN
Old 07-05-2009, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

WOW . That thing was built in 1962 !!!

It has points and condenser under the flywheel, But..... Do yourself a favor and install part #793281 electronic ignition coil instead, Just snip the wire from the points as far behind the flywheel as possible and leave them in. Adjust the new coil air gap at 0.010 to 0.014" and call it a day. Also, While you have the recoil cover off put a few drops of 10w30 oil in the small hole in the center of the recoil clutch.

Have fun with your new old toy.....

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 07-05-2009, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Cool, thanks, I'll look into that and let you know how it goes. Yeah, its old school, but in really good shape and built tough. I'll get some pics up soon. BTW, what makes #793281 electronic ignition coil a better option?

Last edited by curdy; 07-05-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by curdy View Post
BTW, what makes #793281 electronic ignition coil a better option?

You wont ever have to monkey around with points again (fool with clutch and flywheel). Most tillers are only used one time a year, Points can/do corrode while sitting causing a no spark situation. Electronic ignition doesn't change while sitting.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 07-06-2009, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm running down to the local shop right now to pick up the new coil. I'll try to work on it tonight. Can you clarify what you mean by:

"Just snip the wire from the points as far behind the flywheel as possible and leave them in."

I'd like to make sure I understand completely before I start cutting anything If you have a picture of anything I can reference, that would help a lot. I still can't find my camera, but I'll look again when I get home.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by curdy View Post
Can you clarify what you mean by:

"Just snip the wire from the points as far behind the flywheel as possible and leave them in."

The first pic is the points and condenser under the flywheel shown with the dust cover removed.

The second pic shows the points wire running from under the flywheel to the coil on the outside.

Remove the old coil, Trace the wire from the coil back to where it goes behind the flywheel. Use cutters or a knife and cut this wire as far behind the flywheel as you can, If you have two small wires on this old coil the other will go to the kill switch on the throttle control assembly.

The new coil should come with a new kill wire in the box, Plug the new kill wire onto the new coil then run the new wire to the kill switch on the throttle control assembly.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks! Found the camera

Old 07-06-2009, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

OK, need help getting the dang flywheel off before I break something. I see some teeth marks on the housing, so should I just use my large channel locks? CCW?

Old 07-07-2009, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

CURDY,

If you do as I have suggested above you DON'T have to remove the clutch and flywheel at all, Just leave the points and condenser in place and install the electronic ignition coil......

Old 07-07-2009, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Oh, OK. I thought I had to get behind it to cut the wires short. I misunderstood. I'll get back to it tonight.