Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-07-2009, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
If you have two small wires on this old coil the other will go to the kill switch on the throttle control assembly.
Unless the small grounding wire (can see in the first pic) counts as the second wire, it only has one.

Quote:
The new coil should come with a new kill wire in the box, Plug the new kill wire onto the new coil then run the new wire to the kill switch on the throttle control assembly.
OK, here's where I'm a little confused. I see a small wire coming from under the flywheel and it goes to the throttle control. Looks like #356: 'wire-ground found here. I'm assuming the ground wire in this case is the same as the kill wire?

Is that wire no longer needed because the new kill wire will be connected to the same spot? It connects right behind the tube in the second pic. Sorry for the focus, I couldn't get the dang camera to focus where I wanted it to. How does the kill switch work? The part to which it connects doesn't seem to move any, and I don't see anything that makes a connection to ground it out.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by curdy View Post
Is that wire no longer needed because the new kill wire will be connected to the same spot? It connects right behind the tube in the second pic.

Bingo..... Cut both wires at the flywheel then run the new wire from the new coil to the same spot behind the breather tube.

The throttle linkage hits a tang on the back side (can't be seen) of where the wire hooks when the throttle cable is pushed/pulled to the stop position.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 07-07-2009, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Bingo..... Cut both wires at the flywheel then run the new wire from the new coil to the same spot behind the breather tube.

The throttle linkage hits a tang on the back side (can't be seen) of where the wire hooks when the throttle cable is pushed/pulled to the stop position.
Yup, I took a look at it from a different angle and could then see what was happening. I've got everything done except now I'm having to modify the blade governor because it doesn't fit back on to the new coil.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Got it all back together and it wouldn't start. I pulled the spark plug and checked for spark...I couldn't see any. So I'm thinking its one of the following:

I set everything up right and it was just hard to start...and I wasn't testing the plug right when I pulled it to check.
*I was pretty tired, so this may not be that unlikely.

I didn't install it right.
*Always a possibility

The spark plug isn't any good.
*I'm taking it to the local shop today to get a replacement anyway.

The flywheel & magnet surfaces need to be cleaned better?
*I cleaned it off some, but I'm wondering if I need to clean it better?

Am I missing anything else?
Old 07-08-2009, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

BTW, given the era the engine was built in should I be using a lead substitute?
Old 07-08-2009, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dan,

No lead substitute needed.....

Did you install the new coil with the plug wire facing up and the kill lead plug facing down ?

Did you set the coil to flywheel magnet air gap to .010 to .014" or with the instruction card that came in the box with the new coil ?

Have you checked for spark with the kill lead wire disconnected from the coil ?

There could be a problem/short in that fancy kill switch causing no spark.

It's a myth that rust on a flywheel can cause no spark, If everything else is set up/working right rust makes no difference.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 07-08-2009, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Did you install the new coil with the plug wire facing up and the kill lead plug facing down ?
Nope I guess that would be a good idea. That sucks too because now the wire will probably bee too short. I don't have any connectors on hand, I'll have to get some.

Quote:
Did you set the coil to flywheel magnet air gap to .010 to .014" or with the instruction card that came in the box with the new coil ?
Yes, I set it to .012 with a feeler gauge. When I set it to .01 I felt like it rubbed just a tiny bit on the flywheel in a certain spot.

Quote:
Have you checked for spark with the kill lead wire disconnected from the coil ?

There could be a problem/short in that fancy kill switch causing no spark.
Not yet, but I had thought about the same thing this morning. I'll do that if turning the coil over doesn't work.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Flipping the coil should do the trick.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Flipping the coil should do the trick.
Took the spark plug down to the local shop this afternoon and had them confirm the plug was good. Saw it with my own eyes, so we're good on that one.

Flipped the coil, spliced the kill wire (and left it disconnected from the switch and hanging well free of anything), and set the air gap to .01".

I tried testing the spark plug and couldn't see a spark. Put it in my hand and I could feel the spark. So I put the plug back in and gave it a try. Could get it started.

I decided to take a look in the fuel tank realizing I should have emptied it already anyway and put fresh gas in there. (I assumed the fuel was good given the care the previous owner took with other equipment.) The fuel was pretty dark and cloudy. Looks like there may be some bits of rust in the tank as well. I siphoned the old gas out and poured some new in, then siphoned that out just to rinse a little. Added some more and pulled the air filter to shoot a little starter fluid in there. Still wouldn't start. Not sure if its just flooded at this point so I just pulled the spark plug and let it sit.

Then I dragged myself back into the house temporarily defeated to sit back down here and ask for more
Old 07-09-2009, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by curdy View Post
set the air gap to .01"

One thousands of a inch ? Or 10 thousands of a inch which would be closer to right ?

Last edited by Restrorob; 07-09-2009 at 07:11 AM.