Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-09-2009, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Member

set it to .010
Old 07-09-2009, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Member

I want to know why I can't see a spark on this machine, but the plug sparked so well when I took it to the shop. Am I testing it wrong? Could there be an issue with the flywheel? The magnets do appear strong on the flywheel BTW.

I don't think I can rely on feeling the spark for an accurate test. That may tell me there IS a spark, but it doesn't tell me if its strong enough right?

If the level of spark is enough, at what point do I start to consider checking out the carb?
Old 07-09-2009, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dan,

With this proper replacement coil and being installed as you have it now and adjusted as stated with the kill wire disconnected I'm a little aback that it's not sparking.

Not that it should make that much difference but did you set the coil air gap with the magnet rotated in front of the coil ?

I noticed in your pic the paint on the head and rusted head bolts, Clean the area of paint/rust where you are grounding the hex part of the plug. A bad ground on the plug body can prevent spark across the electrode.

I wouldn't worry about anything else until you see blue spark jump across the plug gap.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 07-09-2009, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I used the magnets to pull the coil towards a business card. I tightened the screws down and tested with a feeler gauge.

I'll clean a bolt off and try again. I know there's spark though from feeling last night. I guess I need to actually see it though to determine the strength?

Let's say I see the spark, then what? Just keep yanking until I get it going? How many pulls would you say it takes to flood it to the point I need to take a break?
Old 07-09-2009, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by curdy View Post
pulled the air filter to shoot a little starter fluid in there.

Doing the above with good spark it should pop/spit/sputter or fire right up within 3-4 pulls, If you can see spark jump the plug gap it should be enough to run since it's a new coil.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 07-09-2009, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't get it. I cleaned an area off and did see a blue spark. I got tired of jerking the pull cord, so I hooked my drill up to it. I had to really get it going to see a spark. Not sure if that tells you anything.

Put the plug back in, gave it a shot of starter fluid and gave it a whirl. Nothing. I tried a couple of times with no success. I pulled the plug and tried to test again and couldn't get it to where I could see a spark. I did get a nice spray of fuel out of the spark plug hole though. So at least it is getting fuel in there.

This inconsistent spark thing is a bot of a concern to me. Am I doing something wrong...or is it happening because there is something wrong?

Any ideas?
Old 07-10-2009, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry for the delay Dan,

I've been mowing this situation over, I have done many of these conversions without ANY problems. I really don't have a clue as to why you are having this problem, It sounds like you have performed everything properly as I have done in the past.

This thing should be spitting all kinds of spark across that plug, And being as brave as you are by holding the wire it should make you think twice about holding it again.

About the only thing I have left to offer is; If you purchased this new coil from a dealer/repair shop give them a call and explain to them this problem, There is a chance that this new coil is faulty. They may be nice enough to take a look at it and see if they can find any other problem or if it is really a faulty coil.

Sorry I'm not more help at this point, I'm just stumped on this out come.....

Please keep me informed as to what you may find out.

Good Luck

Old 07-10-2009, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, I don't have a clue either. I pulled the cable off the spark plug and held it close to a bolt and saw plenty of CONSISTENT sparks. So my only guess at this point is there could be some sort of issue with the connection between the cable and spark plug. I'll try hooking a different plug up to it and test that to see if there's consistent spark.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

OK, good news. I retested the original plug and was able to get a nice consistent spark. I had a friend help hold it, and that seemed to make all the difference.

Now what? Still don't understand why I'm not getting any kind of fire off the starter fluid. Compression is good BTW.

OK, I'm all ears
Old 07-16-2009, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Alright Dan,

How many lbs. compression do you have ?

If you now have spark and you have ample compression it should pop/spit/sputter or something on starting fluid.....