Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-12-2002, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Classic tractor????

Just wondering what ya'll's all-time favorite classic tractor is? My favorite is a John Deere 730 diesel, last of the popping Johns.

Everyone is a product of their choices, not their circumstances.........

I don't normally talk to Obama supporters, but when I do, I usually ask for large fries...............
Old 04-17-2002, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Lee Blount, I just bought my grandads 1939 B Johny Popper. Needs magneto work and a new rim but other than that its all there. That 730 your`e talking about ,I believe had a "pony" motor to get her started. Anyhow, my favorite would be the old heirloom from the family farm ( 8 generations), but down on the river bottom in Van Buren county where I grew up there was an old boy one humid evening running a big harrow and pulling it with a wide front end Farmall Super MTA with duals. He also had a tall strait-pipe on it and buddy he had her rolling across that field. Back then it looked and sounded pretty serious.Had a torque flight on em so you could kick it up a gear without clutching it. Just press the pin down with your thumb and shove it forward or pull it back on a big hill. The sound of those old Poppers would get me going , they`d roll through town with a 2 row picker hung on a 60 JD. Her`ed come sombody following them pulling 2 wagons full of ear- corn. Those farmer would get a kick outa me running out to wave at em. All them old boys are just about gone sad to say, they were friendly and nearly everyone of them put me to work one time or another. They always let me hunt also and never questioned me.
Old 04-18-2002, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The old JD's are my favorites. But I've always loved the old Fords also. The MM, AC, Farmalls, ... Oh well, guess I like them all. My dad and I went to a lot of tractor shows over the last several years. Those were a lot of fun.
Old 04-18-2002, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

65 hoss, I'll always have a soft spot for Ford tractors, first tractor I ever drove was a 850 Ford. My family always used Ford tractors with the exception of a super A farmall to tend tobacco and an International 1 row cotton picker mounted on a 404 International turned around back-wards. My daddy never thought much of John Deeres, until I started using them.

I don't normally talk to Obama supporters, but when I do, I usually ask for large fries...............
Old 04-22-2002, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 1949 Ferguson TO 20. That my father bought new. It came with a snow plow that is raised with the 3 point hitch.
Old 04-23-2002, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yep the Massey Ferguson 28 as it was sold down here is a real classic,I think nearly every farm had one,It was the first thing I learned to drive.Cutting hay,raking hay,grader blade,towing trailers,pulling cows out of the swamp the little Fergie did everything.............
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2003, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I spent several summers working on a farm. Our main tractor was a International 560 disel.
But the one I miss the most is an old John Deer A made in 1936. It was just fun to play with.
TOOLS
Old 01-18-2003, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd have to say Farmall
Grew up on them, learned to drive on a Super H, then a Super M (my brother still uses it on the farm). Whish I had one now.
We had about 7" of snow this week and the garden tractor wiht blade I WAS trying to use to clear my drive took an 45 min to start then quit after about 39 min
Definatly going to try to get a REAL tractor before next winter preferably a Classic Farmall :blob4:
Old 01-20-2003, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I just bought a '59 430 JD two-cylinder the other day. Now I've got some serious tinkering to do, needs a few minor odds and ends and a new paint job.

Old 01-21-2003, 01:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by lee blount
I just bought a '59 430 JD two-cylinder the other day. Now I've got some serious tinkering to do, needs a few minor odds and ends and a new paint job.
I have a '58 430. My dad and I got it a couple years ago with the intention to restore it. I haven't done anything with it as of yet. Maybe this year. I found some pics of the day we got it recently, I'll try to scan them soon.