Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-05-2009, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kiril, Mudd, ICT this should intrest you!

"Calcium and Magnesium are the foundation Cation's that are alkaline positive charged Cation's that must dominate the saturation of the Cation Exchange Sites of a soil. The most important material for providing the Electronegativity of a soil (the Cation Exchange Capacity of a soil) and the ability to hold onto these base and acid cation's is the biomolecule called Humus - the Humic Acids."
Old 07-06-2009, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

James
Says who???
Sounds like a humic acid salesman to me

Don't believe everything you hear, it depends on the conditions of the soil that you are working with, it may not even be soil, it could just be dirt

Bulk soil and rhizosphere soil are 2 different things
Old 07-06-2009, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE][The most important material for providing the Electronegativity of a soil (the Cation Exchange Capacity of a soil) and the ability to hold onto these base and acid cation's is the biomolecule called Humus - the Humic Acids." /QUOTE]

Quote:
Norman Q. Arancon, Clive. A. Edwardsa, Stephen Leea and Robert Byrnea
aSoil Ecology Laboratory, The Ohio State University, 400 Aronoff Laboratory, 318 West 12th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210, USA

Available online 14 July 2006.
Abstract
The interactions between earthworms and microorganisms can produce significant quantities of plant growth hormones and humic acids which act as plant regulators. Experiments were designed to evaluate the effects of humic acids extracted from vermicompost and compare them with the action of commercial humic acid in combination with a commercial plant growth hormone, indole acetic acid (IAA) which is a commonly found in vermicomposts. In the first experiments, humic acids were extracted from cattle, food and paper waste vermicomposts. They were applied to a plant growth medium, Metro-Mix360 (MM360), at rates of 0, 250 or 500 mg humates kg−1 dry wt. of MM360, to marigold, pepper, and strawberry plants in the greenhouse. Substitution of humates ranging from 250 to 1000 mg kg−1 MM360 increased the growth of marigold and pepper roots, and increased the growth of roots and numbers of fruits of strawberries significantly. In other experiments, humic acids extracted from food waste vermicomposts were applied at a rate of 500 mg kg−1 dry wt. of MM360, singly or in combination with IAA at a rate of 10−5 μM, to pepper seedlings. This experiment was designed to compare the differences in effects between the most effective dosage rate of humic acid from food waste, a phytohormone (IAA), and a commercial source of humic acid. The numbers of pepper flowers and fruits increased significantly in response to treatment with humic acid, IAA and a combination of humic acid and IAA. Peppers treated with humic acids extracted from food waste vermicomposts produced significantly more fruits and flowers than those treated with commercially-produced humic acids.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...ae090f7f60b58e
This is one reason I use vermicompost.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like an answer to an exam question. Out of 10 points, I give it a 3.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

there is some great debate on this one just as we speak. some are less inclined to see them as they are,IMO

and the test question answer; belly flop.LOL
Old 07-06-2009, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I want to begin to offer organic fertilization to my clients that want it. But I have to tell you guys this forum can get pretty confusing on which product or which application works. Seems like nothing but arguing and different opinions.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfbuilder View Post
I want to begin to offer organic fertilization to my clients that want it. But I have to tell you guys this forum can get pretty confusing on which product or which application works. Seems like nothing but arguing and different opinions.
certainly different opinions, that is because of background and location, Mr Gro on here has a 12 month season, you on the otherhand have a 6 month season. He works with warm season grasses, you with cool season grasses.

What works for you may not work for him. Excuse the blatent plug for our company

Just move your program over to our product line to begin with and then move from there. That is how several on here have started, half of them grow their own worms now. It is an easy place to start and will give you good to great results

I prefer soluble humate, vermicompost is the bomb, I make during the summer in my backyard. I haven't had the courage to bring them indoors for winter
Old 07-06-2009, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Everything begins and ends with your soil. Build good soil structure while increasing natural nutrient retention and turnover and you have won half of the battle.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfbuilder View Post
We all have so much to learn! And we (if I may include me as a relative newcomer) are all passionate about this subject! So let the arguing and the different opinions continue. We'll get it right eventually.

I noticed that TruGreen raked in $1.4 billion in 2008. That's a huge market for us to tap into.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i use Elmer's glue