Register free!

Old 04-13-2002, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Member

bender board

Whats the best way to install redwood bender board around a lawn?
Old 04-13-2002, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not aware of many people outside of California using redwood bender board. In other parts of the country metal and black plastic edging materials are sometimes used. The upscale material of choice for some is granite curbing or cobble. Possibly some California landscapers can help out on this one?
Old 04-13-2002, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, there's a new product in your area that will do the job, but it's plastic. The idea is it looks like wood, you can bend it like bender board, but you can stake it in, just like aluminum edging. Don't recall what it's called - I saw it on "The Surprise Gardener" on HGTV recently. Check their site - maybe you can find it there.
Old 04-14-2002, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Susie and the Green Team to the rescue. "And its all done in one day" Here's your bill. Surprise!
Old 04-14-2002, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL!

I have to admit that I refer to the show for more 'how not to' than 'how to'.

I also get a chuckle out of the Landscape Smart show: "This project will take 1 weekend, and cost $250 Except for all plant material, hardware, dumping fees and most anything else needed for the project. "
Old 04-16-2002, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL Stone, I'm not sure what I was watching one day on that channel, but it may have been the same thing. They had built a patio in the back yard and gave a similiarly low cost that surprised me. Now potential clients may see something like that and curse us out when we tell them 4 or 5 grand for a similar job. "But the guys on TV said it should only be $400.00!?"
Old 04-17-2002, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ypu just want them to say what your customer would be thinking. " If a professional were to do this it would cost $10K, but we can do it for $50., Boy are they screwing you" I do enjoy Paul James though.
Old 04-17-2002, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stonehenge
Hey, there's a new product in your area that will do the job, but it's plastic. The idea is it looks like wood, you can bend it like bender board, but you can stake it in, just like aluminum edging. Don't recall what it's called - I saw it on "The Surprise Gardener" on HGTV recently. Check their site - maybe you can find it there.
I've been using it and majority of people love it. I just used it as a border for a paver driveway that was not finished. Easy to work with. Pliable. Comes in different colors. 1"x4" and 2x4 versions.

Can't beat redwood for looks as a border, but you have to at least use it 3 ply. Cracks and more expensive than the Benda-Board from Epic Plastics. Here available from ANY irrigation store.

Draw backs, have to watch out for constriction and contraction in hot or direct sunlight. Proper gapping and staking takes care of it.

If you look at some of my install pics, bound to see the "Benda-Board" in use. Kind of neat to see all those plastic bottles that I drink being recycled and put back to use.

John