Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-02-2009, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mulch stains on a driveway

So an idiot employee of mine parks the truck on top of the concrete tan driveway and the mulch was wet from a rain the night before and yes we have a 6 sq foot black spot now that needs to be cleaned.

Will a wire brush work or do I need a pressure washer???
Old 07-03-2009, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Be careful. I think a wire brush might do even more damage. I think I would try a power washer or maybe some Tide (laundry detergent) powder and a stiff broom. Good Luck.

Dan
Old 07-05-2009, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You said----"Tan Driveway?"
Was this driveway premixed during the pouring process or was it post-painted or stained the Khaki color???
Colored driveways are done here but not of those exotic colors unless it is acid etched.

I would hope that the power washer wouldn't peel the paint off or worse...
Don't use Bleach or Acids......it will possibly fade the color.

Man, I hate that for you.......as our mulches do leach some color after rains, but we have never stained concrete. If the mulches are wet from rain, we definately don't park on the smooth driveways until the mulch is dried..
We hate to wheel barrow bulk mulch from the street side, but in this instance we would do it or wait until better conditions. Depends on several factors!

Contact a concrete company and inquire with them on the techniques for cleaning the surface.

Good Luck!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2009, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
You said----"Tan Driveway?"
Was this driveway premixed during the pouring process or was it post-painted or stained the Khaki color???
Colored driveways are done here but not of those exotic colors unless it is acid etched.

I would hope that the power washer wouldn't peel the paint off or worse...
Don't use Bleach or Acids......it will possibly fade the color.

Man, I hate that for you.......as our mulches do leach some color after rains, but we have never stained concrete. If the mulches are wet from rain, we definately don't park on the smooth driveways until the mulch is dried..
We hate to wheel barrow bulk mulch from the street side, but in this instance we would do it or wait until better conditions. Depends on several factors!

Contact a concrete company and inquire with them on the techniques for cleaning the surface.

Good Luck!!!!!!
No its not painted,obviously the concrete had pigment added to it when it was poured.

I have to do this tomorrow,I'm just going to buy a pressure washer to make sure I don't get there and not have the wire brush work.I have been meaning to get one anyway for cleanups so now it as good a time as ever to buy one I guess.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, if you use a wire broom, it will spread evrything, making a more mess, hurting the driveway.

Use a power washer if you have one, or a hose with a scrubbing brush.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok so I cleaned it up today,and there were issues that arose even with the power washer.

Main one being that when you use the power washer on the affected areas it is hard to "blend" it in with the non affected areas to make it look right.The power washer works so good that you can clearly tell where it has been and where it has not.

Spot cleaning is tough especially if you have a driveway with some dirt on the surface,its almost impossible to just do the spots and have it look right you end up doing giant areas around the spots too.

My best advice...dont make the mess in the first place.