Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-07-2009, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Here are the pics

Here are the pics I said i would post. It rained like crazy about every day in June. Any idea what this is on the soil? is it harmful to the lawn? and how to get rid of it if i have to.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2009, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Member

It appears to be soil algae to me. If it is soil algae, improving drainage, aeration and overseeding is the best bet.
Honda HRX217K2HXA
Toro Recycler
Stihl BR600
Stihl KM90 + FCS-KM + FS-KM + HL-KM 135
Stihl MS180

That progressives and other collectivists can maintain with a straight face that “we are the government” while simultaneously maintaining that “a corporation is separate and apart from its owners” stands of one of the most glaring inconsistencies in their ideologies. -Robert Higgs
Old 07-07-2009, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Member

returned from lesco and he said it is from the excess rain we have had lately and poor drainage + compacted soil. the water just sits there and thats what occurs. once it dries it can just be raked off.
now i have to work on the next problem. i have what looks like spider webs in my lawn and it may be some type of white worm.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

are you worried about the green algae, the white baldes of grass or the weeds in there? Take your pick...
Old 07-07-2009, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Member

dont see white blades?
Old 07-07-2009, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your lawn is relatively new and is suffering a lot of problems that new lawns will suffer from. The first two years are the hardest but once the lawn matures, it will not be affected as much. What you have on the soil is green algae growth. There is nothing that you can do to help it. If we ever get to see the sun again, it will dry up.

That being said, your lawn looks pretty good but could definitely benefit from a CORE AERATION and an over-seeding of the SAME grass type that it was planted with. Of course, you cannot do that at this time because mother nature will surely give us high heat very soon. Apply your next application of Fertlizer/Merit and wait out the summer. During the last week of August, core aerate the entire lawn, re-seed and apply a starter fertilizer. Follow this up with another application of starter fertilizer during the last week of September.

Things you have to realize about your lawn are this:

1. There is NO PERFECT LAWN!
2. Lawns will get diseases/funguses, just like all living creatures. That means that it will suffer from Red Thread, Dollar Spot, Leaf Spot or many other diseases at one time or another.
3. Irrigation systems are totally awesome but the majority of the people out there use them incorrectly, thus increasing the disease outbreaks.
4. Core aerations should be done yearly at least once but may need to be done twice if the lawn is severely compacted.
5. Weeds/Crabgrass/Yellow Nutsedge, etc.... can creep into a well manicured lawn. They must be dealt with swiftly, BEFORE they get out of control.
6. Manicured lawns were not meant to be manicured. Mother Nature has decided that lawns should look like crap (look at the lawns in the highway medians) and she has decided to throw everything in her power at us crazy people who want them to look like carpets.

REMEMBER THIS: THERE IS NO PERFECT LAWN!
Old 07-07-2009, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hissing Cobra is right.
Maybe if you fill up those lower ares it could help
Old 07-07-2009, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's your paint. You know them oil based primers just resist water. You should have used that outside acrylic stuff.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

that could also be true
Old 07-07-2009, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
Your lawn is relatively new and is suffering a lot of problems that new lawns will suffer from. The first two years are the hardest but once the lawn matures, it will not be affected as much. What you have on the soil is green algae growth. There is nothing that you can do to help it. If we ever get to see the sun again, it will dry up.

That being said, your lawn looks pretty good but could definitely benefit from a CORE AERATION and an over-seeding of the SAME grass type that it was planted with. Of course, you cannot do that at this time because mother nature will surely give us high heat very soon. Apply your next application of Fertlizer/Merit and wait out the summer. During the last week of August, core aerate the entire lawn, re-seed and apply a starter fertilizer. Follow this up with another application of starter fertilizer during the last week of September.

Things you have to realize about your lawn are this:

1. There is NO PERFECT LAWN!
2. Lawns will get diseases/funguses, just like all living creatures. That means that it will suffer from Red Thread, Dollar Spot, Leaf Spot or many other diseases at one time or another.
3. Irrigation systems are totally awesome but the majority of the people out there use them incorrectly, thus increasing the disease outbreaks.
4. Core aerations should be done yearly at least once but may need to be done twice if the lawn is severely compacted.
5. Weeds/Crabgrass/Yellow Nutsedge, etc.... can creep into a well manicured lawn. They must be dealt with swiftly, BEFORE they get out of control.
6. Manicured lawns were not meant to be manicured. Mother Nature has decided that lawns should look like crap (look at the lawns in the highway medians) and she has decided to throw everything in her power at us crazy people who want them to look like carpets.

REMEMBER THIS: THERE IS NO PERFECT LAWN!

thanks again for the response! I will be putting down the merit and grub control on July 15th with my next application. I am planning on core aerating and overseeding at the end of august. you rock.