Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 07-08-2009, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Drive belt failure

I have a customer with a new Super Z 31hp kaw 60" purchased in March of this year. At 22 hrs the drive belt broke and we replace the belt and looked for a cause and could not find one. At 52 hrs the belt broke again, at this time the customer thought it may have been the mowing conditions he was in that time. The 3rd belt was today at 163 hrs. I cannot find anything on the machine that is wrong. Any suggestions or problems with this particular machine? We have sold well over 200 machines and rarely have a drive belt break.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by atractorshop View Post
I have a customer with a new Super Z 31hp kaw 60" purchased in March of this year. At 22 hrs the drive belt broke and we replace the belt and looked for a cause and could not find one. At 52 hrs the belt broke again, at this time the customer thought it may have been the mowing conditions he was in that time. The 3rd belt was today at 163 hrs. I cannot find anything on the machine that is wrong. Any suggestions or problems with this particular machine? We have sold well over 200 machines and rarely have a drive belt break.
Have you talked to your regional service manager?
Old 07-08-2009, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Member

yes, he has not heard of anyone else having these problems,
Old 07-08-2009, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I know you've already checked the obvious, but make sure the pump tensioner arm is not bent. Have seen a few with this problem; straightening usually fixes it.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Is he mowing over sticks? I dont know how many belts Ive gone through, and it was almost always because of sticks!
Old 07-09-2009, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Member

I have checked the tensioner alignment and it is good. As far as mowing over sticks, I can see one of the broken belts to be because of that. That belt was shredded. The other belts broke like you cut them with a knife. No damage to the belt other than the spot where it was pulled apart.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Member

A belt that is broken like it has been cut, just about has to be the belt being cut by a pulley when the belt jumps off. As said, foriegn material could be making the belt come off, or belt angularity is not correct.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

If there was a stick in the pully it should be vibrating or something. Are you using aftermarket belts?
Old 07-10-2009, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Bladz View Post
If there was a stick in the pully it should be vibrating or something. Are you using aftermarket belts?
Not necessarily. It happens so fast sometimes they just stop working! Ive had sticks take off the drive belt, that drive belt has fallen onto the deck belt and Ive had to replace both belts at the same time. Now thats a PITA!

You may get vibrations if there is a stone, mud or a tiny piece of wood in the pulley but he didnt mention anything about vibrations! Although it may be worth while checking all pulleys again.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Tell the owner the next time it breaks that you will go out and replace the belt for him onsite. At that time you will see the brush and small sapplings he is mowing over.