Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-10-2009, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Exmark Quest rebadged Toro Timecutter Z?

I read this quote in one of the threads here.

"The quest is just a rebadge Toro Time cutter Z With a Briggs instead of a Kohler engine"

I can see right off that the deck is stamped on the Toro and fabricated on the Exmark but can anyone comment on the rest of the construction being the same or similar? I've always heard that the Exmark was in a different league. There is about $1000 between the 48 Quest and the Timecutter and for me being a homowner with only about an acre I'm not sure whether the deck would be a problem for me if all else is close. Thanks for any input.

Jim
Old 07-13-2009, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Member

The Quest appears to be very similar if not the same as the previous generation Titan Z (not Time Cutter).

Toro has since redesigned the Titan and it no longer shares similarity with the Quest.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Bren. Being similar to the Titan isn't bad I guess but have been steering away from the likes of the Timecutter line from lots of reading on this site.
Jim
Old 07-13-2009, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I spent months shopping and the Quest seemed to be the best bang for the buck - at least that I could find anyway.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Member

My local dealer is actually a shade over list price but another that is only about 15 miles away offered me a really good "cash" deal on the 48 that I'm seriously considering if I can find out if it will handle a section of my property that is a pretty rough ride. Thanks,
Jim
Old 07-15-2009, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Bren. I think I've got it narrowed down to three mowers and don't think I could go wrong with any of them. I did have the Hustler Sport 48 on the list but crossed it off because of the smaller drive tires and a bumpy yard.

Quest 48" Maybe top choice as it has more overhang for trimming than the other two.
Scag 48" Freedom Personal favorite of the group but little trim overhang and most expensive
Ferris 500Z 44" Best ride with the shocks and priced very well but little overhang like the Scag

4-$5000 for residential is about all I'd like to spend as it's only for my own yard and living in New England that means maybe 20-25 hours a year of cutting.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Z View Post
Thanks Bren. I think I've got it narrowed down to three mowers and don't think I could go wrong with any of them. I did have the Hustler Sport 48 on the list but crossed it off because of the smaller drive tires and a bumpy yard.

Quest 48" Maybe top choice as it has more overhang for trimming than the other two.
Scag 48" Freedom Personal favorite of the group but little trim overhang and most expensive
Ferris 500Z 44" Best ride with the shocks and priced very well but little overhang like the Scag

4-$5000 for residential is about all I'd like to spend as it's only for my own yard and living in New England that means maybe 20-25 hours a year of cutting.
I was very close to going with the Hustler Sport as well, but for a few hundred more the Quest was a no brainer.

I tested the Freedom Z twice and just couldn't get comfortable. There was nowhere to put my feet and I couldn't find a setting for the seat where I could operate the control levers properly. And the price premium just didn't make sense.

The weight of the Ferris put me off - that and the spector of having to replace suspension parts.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
I was very close to going with the Hustler Sport as well, but for a few hundred more the Quest was a no brainer.

I tested the Freedom Z twice and just couldn't get comfortable. There was nowhere to put my feet and I couldn't find a setting for the seat where I could operate the control levers properly. And the price premium just didn't make sense.

The weight of the Ferris put me off - that and the spector of having to replace suspension parts.
Bought one today myself! The Ferris 500 44" had no overhang for trim and I would have had more trimming to do. The Ferris 1500 48 was really nice but had a wider wheelbase which gave it little no trim either. That one was more than I wanted to spend anyway... $6000. I looked at the Hustler Sport with the 48" and Honda but was told that they weren't a Honda service so I would have to find another place if I had trouble with the engine... that one's out. That left the Quest which had the trim ability, great name and service. My closest Exmark dealer was $200 over suggested retail ($4719) and wouldn't budge a pennny even with cash in my hand. Another dealer about 15 miles away sold me one today for $700 less than my closer dealer. I would gladly have given my closer guy a couple hundred more but $700 was just too much for me to swallow. So, delivery on Tues after they uncrate it, set it up and deliver. Delivery plus all warrenty service is free pickup and delivery too. I think I got a good deal and it should be just fine for me for many years. Thanks for the input.