Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-11-2009, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Walker mower blades turn too slow to cut grass ???

Hello to all.

Just recently my Walker MTGHS20 / 48" riding mower decided that it didn't want to turn the blades fast enough to cut the grass. I checked the fluids in the drive shaft housing and filled them as needed. The power comes down to the blade drive shaft housing ok...it looks like its turning fast enough to turn the blades fast enough to cut. I can peek under the deck and see the blades turning. But I can also manually turn the blades when the deck is in the upright position which I know is not right!

Any thoughts?
Thanks alot.
Kevin
Old 07-11-2009, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Walker mower blades

Kevin, did you check the shear bolts on the blades?

Eric
Old 07-11-2009, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Shear bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericg View Post
Kevin, did you check the shear bolts on the blades?

Eric
Eric,

Yep...had enough of those bolts

The shear bolts are good. When I tilt the deck up and move the blades, they can rotate now...which never happened before. When I rotate one of the blades the other blade rotates with it..which under normal operations is good but whenever I took a blade off to sharpen it (in the past) the blades would NOT rotate. The shaft that the blades are attached to is rotating too.
Hope that explains it.
Thanks
Kevin
Old 07-11-2009, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Walker blades

Kevin, there is a shear pin on the center drive box where the drive shaft is attached. If the pin breaks, you will be able to rotate the blades with the deck in the upright position. Lower the deck back down and remove the cover that surrounds the drive shaft where it attaches to the center box. There is a small hole with a roll pin in it that locks the shaft to the box in addition to the bolt that is there as well. I bet the roll pin (shear pin) is broken. The problem is that you cannot see if the pin is broken until you drive it out. I attached the link to the Walker deck parts list. You will see what I am talking about on page 31 as part 22. Page 30 describes 22 as a shear pin.

Eric
http://www.walkermowers.com/Manuals/...000-19_pub.pdf

Last edited by ericg; 07-11-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Good Stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericg View Post
Kevin, there is a shear pin on the center drive box where the drive shaft is attached. If the pin breaks, you will be able to rotate the blades with the deck in the upright position. Lower the deck back down and remove the cover that surrounds the drive shaft where it attaches to the center box. There is a small hole with a roll pin in it that locks the shaft to the box in addition to the bolt that is there as well. I bet the roll pin (shear pin) is broken. The problem is that you cannot see if the pin is broken until you drive it out. I attached the link to the Walker deck parts list. You will see what I am talking about on page 31 as part 22. Page 30 describes 22 as a shear pin.

Eric
http://www.walkermowers.com/Manuals/...000-19_pub.pdf
Eric,
That was it! And you know I did replace that a few years ago but totally forgot about it. I had it in my mind that it was something farther up the drive system. So I tapped out the broken one BUT I don't have any in stockl Do you have any that I could pay you to overnight to me...maybe a paypal deal ...paid ahead of time. I know..I know...asking a lot...but my wife says I do that a lot

Either way...thanks for the help.

Kevin
Old 07-11-2009, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Don't you have a Walker dealer nearby? Another place to look is a really good hardware store. We have an Ace Hardware store here that has a whole box of shear pins to pick from. I used to get mine at that Ace.
It is a good idea to carry a couple of those with you at all times, JUST IN CASE.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A guy brought in a brand new Walker that had broken a sheer pin and his crew kept mowing with it. They damaged the drive shaft and a couple other parts
Old 07-11-2009, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Had a man get mad that he sheared the drive shaft pin twice so he replaces it with a case hardened grade 8 steel pin. Guess what? He did not shear the pin again. He blew the deck center box to bits.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
Don't you have a Walker dealer nearby? Another place to look is a really good hardware store. We have an Ace Hardware store here that has a whole box of shear pins to pick from. I used to get mine at that Ace.
It is a good idea to carry a couple of those with you at all times, JUST IN CASE.
Don't have a Walker Dist in Michigan at all. Closest repair shop is 40 miles north or south to Ohio.

Anyway, I was able to get the days work done by using a large cotter pin that I THOUGHT might have the same strength as the regular sheer pin. I took some risk there but it got the job done until I can get some in probably in a day. Anyone know, from what I can see, why Walker parts aren't available in an online store?

On another front...thats a funny story about the guy would got upset about it breaking...I'm thinking of going with a diamond shear pin...that way it will look nice..won't break and it adds some to the resale value. (What an AH).

Thanks for all the comments and help.
Kevin