Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-28-2009, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok, I went to this topic because I thought the title is "Organic Lawn care". I'm not sure how bashing customer's and professionals who want to have beautiful landscapes without toxic chemicals is helpful. I came here to learn something and to share what I have learned.

Clover, is considered a weed by the large majority of people, my job as an Accredited Organic Land Care Professional is to educate my customers. Walking away from this opportunity because it is too hard is a loss for your business. I make money at this every day.

Clover can not be beat forever by chemicals, or organics. With time, healthy living soil, and good cultural practices we keep it in check for those who still worry about it. Have your soil tested and come up with a plan. Part of that plan should be: this fall compost topdress, aerate, and over seed. Keep the soil fertil and mow high. Do it again next fall, and the next if that's what it takes. Clover will out run grass when the soil is compact, low in fertility and microbial life. If turf grass does not like the the site and the care it gets, then something else less picky will move in quick.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
Around here white clover is considered a weed and not desired in any lawn other than old hippies who think a weedy , non-maintained landscape is "loving your mother".
I can't imagine why anyone would want clover to be there primary lawn. Now that is being cheap. Clover, yes white clover around here grows up to about 8 inches, stay wet, clogs any mowind deck made. I want that for my next lawn.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey everyone, I have nothing to add to this thread that would be helpful, but I do enjoy picking up bits of info along the way. I basically am a mower and a mulcher and would like o learn more about organic lawn care and such. Not only because it is the wave of the future but because I have always believed in the home remedies whether in lawn care or healthcare. Anyways, was just wondering if the vinegar application works for a wide variety of weeds or just grass type. I know my dog's urine does a good job of killing my grass. Is there a recommended concentration for application? Also, I have several customers that have lawns covered in clover, but no one wants to pay to remedy the problem. They expect me to fix it and when I tell them Im not licensed for that they do not want to pay for anyone else to do it. Yet another reason I want to learn more about organic remedies. If anyone wants to share please fell free to shoot me a pm. Thanks

"Excellence in Everything"