Register free!

Old 07-15-2009, 02:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Personally. If I deal with a Copper connection ( Which 99% of the time I deal with a copper connection is at the POC at the meter) I Prefer a CxFipt with brass then to pvc

this is mainly always the poc Tee from the domestic to the irrigation.
If it's copper inlet CxMipt- Brass tee- Brass barbed adapter for the poly to domestic- sched 80 mipt or brass out to irrigation.
But then again I rarely deal with RP's.. DCVS are my specialty

Last edited by mitchgo; 07-15-2009 at 02:56 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
We don't use CPVC in the first place. Straight PVC.
PVC coming out of the backflow preventer is tacky when above ground. And at 7000' elevation the UV rays deteriorate it. I try to go copper to ground level, and transition to PVC.
Thats what we do but its always female x copper 90 with a spears M/A screwed into it.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
For those who install, this might seem counter-intuitive but I have had good results putting nozzles on the heads before installing them, on an install. You only have to be somewhat careful piping and it goes without saying that you have to install the filters. This saves lots of time having to go back and flush and nozzle. Worst case, last couple of heads are plugged up. With a remote, this is not a problem. I use RainBird 1804 exclusively. Try it you might be surprised.
I've got a patent on that concept
Old 07-15-2009, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

OK how about a new tip for the day? Peter? Boots? John? Mike? Anyone? Instead of 3 pages debating the copper to PVC. Even some some tips for running the business. Ways to make things easier and more organized.

I like the idea of nozzling the heads first, if YOU the business owner are doing the install. We know well enough that we will take better care of not getting dirt inside, than workers that have minimal interest in going the extra mile.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Take a Bidding & Estimating class or hire someone to show you how to properly do it.

Most of us started out small, with a strong back and weak business knowledge and education. Usually you and a helper. But when you grow to have 4-5 employees 2 or more trucks your lack of business knowledge will start to cost you dollars.

Know what you overhead is & how to recover it through your bids. Get a spreadsheet set up for all of your bidding.

This is more important than knowing how to diagnose and rebuild any valve problem.

Next, join the IA and your state association & get to know the other people in our industry. This is the best way to know & understand your competition and learn from them.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Schedule 80 unions are useful for repairs and certain aspects of installs. If you always buy the same brand, like KBI, you can swap ends between theaded and slip unions, and make a pair of slip x FPT unions.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by M L Thomas View Post
Take a Bidding & Estimating class or hire someone to show you how to properly do it.
I took a class from Charles Vanderkooi (sp?) years ago on this. I don't do installs, but wanted to take the class anyway and learn. It was very informative and helped a lot.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Keep a small file on hand to sharpen the blade for your poly cutters, instead of replacing the blade all the time. I've had the same blade for at least two years now.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i guess a service style tip. After you ring the doorbell walk back about two steps to give the customer a chance to look you over and size you up. Give them some space to come out the door and make the first move. Of course a big smile and a HOWDY goes a long way. Don't say much and nod in agreement on everything. Never argue with them in the first 30 minutes. Size up the entire situation and always come back to them with a thing or two they missed. Makes them think you are really doing your job.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Get something accomplished with every step. I hate walking between the house/truck without anything in my hands. Work smarter, not harder.