Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-16-2009, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

By the looks of it Waterit just downed Booties onion rings. Great avatar!lolol
Old 07-16-2009, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Couple more basic tips......

Install the valve box in such a manner that makes life easy getting to the bleeder and solenoid, and leave slack in the wiring to gain access to the splicing. It's always a bummer to find the wire taut from the solenoid top disappearing into the dirt and under the valve.

More preferred is when using 14awg cut enough length to wrap around your finger 5+ times before you connect it to the valve. You can do this with multi too. It's a pro look and you'll get a better reading when using your 521. It will also allow you to "stretch" the splice out of the box to make things easier.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I spec a couple extra feet of wire in the valve box.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Here is a system I have used for years, it has helped to close more jobs and at a consistently higher price than other the bids a customer gets.

Send out a thank you card immediately, as in same day, after EVERY sales call to a prospective client, install or service. Thank them for their time.

If you get the sale send out a second thank you immediately, I do this as soon as I have the contract and/or deposit. Thank them for choosing you.

After project completed send out a third thank you. Thank them for their business and ask them to call you if there is ANYTHING else that you can do for them.

Cost is very small in time and money. I have glossy thank you sized cards made up with our logo on them and envelopes with addresses on the back flap. This is a cheap way to impress on prospects that they and their business is important to you.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The thank you's are a great idea, but for EVERYTHING you bid? Even service bidding???

I'll hand it to you.....you must have a great system going on there. Very personable. I/we have never considered mailing something to a tire kicker wanting the cheapest start up or winterization price......or lawn cutting/fert/landscape construction/snow etc, etc. The mailer, postage and time it would take to do this would be costly and not make sense (at least to me).

We do send thank you cards to many new installation customers, at least once a year invite "good" customers to a customer appreciation party held at the owners home and send gift certificates to select customers at a nice restaurant that we fully service for trade. Christmas (or should I say holiday to be PC) cards signed by the office staff and managers go out too. Very good customers also get concert/sporting event tickets........top customers go to Mexico to spend time at the owner's condo!

It's a fine line not to cross the ethical boundaries, but we do try to show appreciation to our customers for their loyalty.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I should have specified TIRE KICKERS EXCLUDED.

On service estimates it depends. Over the phone, never. Over $500 for a non customer that is serious about the repair we send every time. Between $250 & $500 and serious, yes and no depending on customer, but I would say about half of them.

This only costs you about $1.00 and 2 minutes of your time for each thank you. If you don't think it will work then by all means do not try it.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No offense, but I think thank you cards are a waste of resources and is just one more item that will quickly end up in the landfill. Most everyone now has email, and I do almost all my communication in that fashion.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

You are in a different world out there. We do a lot of communications via email as well, but a thank you either in person or handwritten on a note card goes along way in this part of the country.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Show up on time, if I am going to be late by one min. I will call we have exact times for service
Old 07-18-2009, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
I agree on the sunglasses. I take them off when we first meet and talk, but as we are walking the yard as they show me what's going on with the system, I put them back on.
If you're walking and talking great,
but otherwise when you're talking to a client{no matter the situation} you look them in the eye.

Many years ago I had been doing pretty good on getting the jobs. One time I had a client interrupt me and say, look at me when you're talking.

I just stoped and looked dumbfounded, I didn't say a word, then he said, you're doing great, you have very good knowledge and speak in terms I understand.

The other thing is watching your language. litteraly.
Like saying er instead of or, and Omolette instead of I'm going to....Took me awhile to snap out of that.