Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-15-2009, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I have no idea what type of grass it is but the builder guys are still in the neighbourhood so maybe I can find out from them.

I will raise the height on the lawnmower to see if it helps as well. The side of the house and the backyard grow pretty much twice as fast as the front does and are in better shape.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlammed View Post
I have no idea what type of grass it is but the builder guys are still in the neighbourhood so maybe I can find out from them.

I will raise the height on the lawnmower to see if it helps as well. The side of the house and the backyard grow pretty much twice as fast as the front does and are in better shape.
So its the grass the builder put down? That's all I need to know.

Its a commercial garbage mix,guaranteed.The lowest quality and cheapest stuff known to man.

Plan on finding a quality seed for the fall,in your region a perenniel ryegrass would probably do well. Make sure its certified and remember you get what you pay for......every seed has its own genetic makeup.

Put the mower at one notch below the highest and never lower it until it starts to get cold and you hit the last few mowings before winter.

Take a break from mowing for a couple weeks and just water to get the grass at its proper height then go from there.Long deep waterings not short ones.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Member

yep, builder grass. but what I don't fully understand about overseeding the lawn is how you overseed over existing grass? Doesn't it need good soil contact?

I've had good success planting my own seed in the dirt around the posts of my backyard fence but I dug that soil up, put the seed down, and laid top soil on it.

How would it differ when seeding over existing grass to get it thicker? would i have to top dress the entire lawn?
Old 07-15-2009, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlammed View Post
yep, builder grass. but what I don't fully understand about overseeding the lawn is how you overseed over existing grass? Doesn't it need good soil contact?

I've had good success planting my own seed in the dirt around the posts of my backyard fence but I dug that soil up, put the seed down, and laid top soil on it.

How would it differ when seeding over existing grass to get it thicker? would i have to top dress the entire lawn?
Easy way-All you need to do is overseed and buy a drum roller that you fill up with water and roll it after you are done.Soil contact will be fine.

Kinda easy way-Aerate and then overseed.The holes provide a nice place for the seed to sit in and germinate.

Really good way-Dethatch,Aerate and then overseed.Best results by doing this.

You can topdress after any of these ways if you really want to do it right.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with bigslick that lawn doesnt look in pics as bad as you portrayed it. No weeds and not dead just thin. Looks like drought and I still stand behind an aeration and top dress but like big said get a soil sample and water that lawn
Old 07-15-2009, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

maybe its because im obsessed with having a great lawn that makes me think its worse than it really is lol

thanks for the tips guys