Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-15-2002, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

The Going Rate!

Hey guys just checking in with you and keeping up with whats going on else were. Whats the going hourly rate you guys are charging for basic lawn care in your areas? I havent seen to much on that here in a while and just thought I would checkin and say Whats Up!!
Old 04-15-2002, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

not sure how u expect us to answer that or what ur gonna get, each company has it differently, or determines it differently anyway, that is determined by expenses, how much u want to make, how much u need to make, expenses, difficulty of job etc etc etc. also not everyone goes by the hour. also what exactly is basic lawncare? is that just mowing? mowing and trimming? aerating? dethatching?
Old 04-15-2002, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok let me rephrase that; Residental by the hour if that is the way you charge, Consisting of Mowing, Trimming, Edging and Blowing.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Why is it that every time some one asks a question about how much every one is charging per hr some one always post something about how you canít charge by the hr or gives a big long speech about how every body has to have a different price structure based on their overhead?

The fact is you should always no how much you need to make per man hr to stay afloat and make a profit. What youíre doing or how you do it is not a facture. The only thing that matters is are you making what you need to make.

The fact that this business has no pricing structure is why there are so many people out their charging to little for their service and just as many charging more than they should. If everyone had some idle of the average price per hr for lawn care in their area and priced their work based on that than we wouldnít have a bunch of low balers betting us out of work and customers would not as easily be abele to price shop and would be more likely to pick the LCO that provides the best work.

In short I try for $35.00 pre man hr on all work I do plus materials. I am in OHIO
Old 04-16-2002, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Member

I bid my residential mowing at $50 an hour. I strive for daily goals. I like to make $350 a day on my mowing days (I'm solo) and pull out of my drive at 8:00 A.M. and be home and unloaded no later than 5:00 P.M.

I have mostly $50-$60 yards. I've learned not to follow your competitions pricing. On a scale of 1 to 5 in my area, 5 being the highest price, I'm a 4. There are customers in EVERY neighborhood willing to pay extra for quality workmanship. I took on two new accounts Monday at $50 and $55. The new accounts are neighbors of existing accounts. Each of these new accounts had paid $38 with their previous LCO.
Old 04-16-2002, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The national average is right around $36/hour, from what I understand. I've seen rates anywhere from $25-$60/hour stated on this forum.

Coincidentally enough, that's what i make. $25-$60/hour.
Old 04-16-2002, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My labor rates range from $25 to $40 per hour depending on what I'm doing. I then tack on an equipment hourly rate to get the rate I'll bill the client. If it's just hand tools and light labor close to home, I'll go as low as $25/hr total rate. If I'm running a chain saw, blower, mower or trimmer, I add $10 to $15 hr ($35 to $55 to client). Tractor work I add more like $25 to $35/hr depending on implements to be used ($50 to $75/hr total).
Old 04-16-2002, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bid each new account "by the job" but I figure that price by taking into consideration of how long it will take, with my equipment. It all averages out to about $40 an hour.....some I get more than that, some less. All depends on my initial bid.
Old 04-16-2002, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Raven, I like your style. I've been dumping $ 25/ hr mow jobs and replacing them with $ 45-50 / hr jobs. People who used to pay $30 are gladly paying $ 45 just because I show up when I say I will and the quality is top notch.

Well, anyway.....I now shoot for $ 50 as a general rule for mowing.
Old 04-16-2002, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your equipment and mine will be different. You may be using a push mower and I will be on a Lazer. You can't compare the rates per hour. What takes me 20 minutes will take you 2 hours. Can you charge $160 to cut that yard? No. This is an example before anyone gets fired up.

I don't charge by the hour for mowing. No need. I know within minutes how long it will take. Best thing is to know your expenses and what you need. Then find out what the going rate is in your area and try to be competitive without lowballing or hurting yourself. My opinion anyway.