Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-16-2009, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Tracking hours

I'm just curious how you guys track your hours. For example, do you consider when you leave the house until you get home when you were working (as far as keeping track of everything), including driving time, or do you just add up the time spent at any and all places you did a service that day?

Also, those of you with employees - do you pay them including driving time and such or SOLELY what they work? My dad has a construction business and has always done it from when they arrive on the job to when they are done, and if they have to move to a separate house or anything that is considered part of their work.

Just curious on how everyone does things..I'm sure there are different ways everyone does it. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Both... in order to check how much money your making you need to keep track of ALL time. including talking to customers on phone, running to dealer, changing oil, everythign.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As far as employees, they get paid when they get into the truck at the beggining of the day until they park it at the shop at night.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

But for me...Am I working right now? I do have quick books open in the background...
Old 07-20-2009, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Here is a good thread on this topic http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...oduction+ratio

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 07-21-2009, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener View Post
Here is a good thread on this topic http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...oduction+ratio
You're right..It's a good thread.. I'm reading it as we speak .

Thanks for the link.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Member

As far as productivity, it's a little different for me because we only do 2 lawns weekly, and the rest of our work is just landscaping..So we typically are on the job probably 98% of the time (just driving there and back, maybe a lunch break).

However, yesterday we spent a few hours finishing up some trimming and stuff at a customers home, and then we proceeded to do our 2 weekly mows, and my productivity % was 78%. I guess that's a bit below average..But our 2 mowing jobs are far apart..So it's ok I guess.

I was just curious though if most people counted driving time, etc. into their hours for the day. For example, I go on Quickbooks and log all the time we spend at jobs.. But I never included driving time...Ive been considering adding it.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryall Landscaping View Post
As far as productivity, it's a little different for me because we only do 2 lawns weekly, and the rest of our work is just landscaping..So we typically are on the job probably 98% of the time (just driving there and back, maybe a lunch break).

However, yesterday we spent a few hours finishing up some trimming and stuff at a customers home, and then we proceeded to do our 2 weekly mows, and my productivity % was 78%. I guess that's a bit below average..But our 2 mowing jobs are far apart..So it's ok I guess.

I was just curious though if most people counted driving time, etc. into their hours for the day. For example, I go on Quickbooks and log all the time we spend at jobs.. But I never included driving time...Ive been considering adding it.
How do you track time in quickbooks? What version do you have?
Old 07-25-2009, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quickbooks Pro 2007.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Member

I have Premier 2008.