Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 07-26-2009, 11:44 AM
NewHorizon's Land's Avatar
NewHorizon's Land NewHorizon's Land is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ridgely, MD
Posts: 692
Time for maintenance should be from the time you leave the shop till you finish that yard. Job b time is from the time you leave job a till you finish b. Last job of the day is from when you leave the previous job till you arrive at the shop.
__________________


New Horizons Land Management
1996 F-250 crew cab short bed FOR SALE
16' landscape trailer FOR SALE
14' enclosed trailer for hardscapes
6.5' x 12' 12,000 lbs dump trailer
60" Kubota ZD21 FOR SALE
60" JD 997
36" Stander for sale
Sthil Power Tools FOR SALE
Weber 7,000 lb force revs. plate tamp
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-27-2009, 06:57 PM
TQ Lawn Service TQ Lawn Service is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chesterfield, VA
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryall Landscaping View Post
I have Premier 2008.
Did you choose "professional services" or "contractor" for you version of QB?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Ryall Landscaping's Avatar
Ryall Landscaping Ryall Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Greensburg, PA
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ Lawn Service View Post
Did you choose "professional services" or "contractor" for you version of QB?
Contractor.

There is a weekly timesheet that you can use to add time by the customer/job. It's extremely simple to use.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Critical Care's Avatar
Critical Care Critical Care is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 1,654
When you work for someone else you don't have to worry about bookkeeping, sending out invoices, maintaining equipment, and other things that you DO have to consider when running your own business. These are behind the scenes work, obviously important to keep tabs on, however generally not considered when looking at the efficiency of your daily route or work routine. You can hire a bookkeeper, or office worker, and then you'll be doing the same thing with her or his work, that is checking how efficient and productive they are in getting work done since that's money going out of your pocket.

Another thing... It's obvious that if you have a crew doing work on a time and material basis, the longer they work at a job site, the more the client will be billed, and the more money you make. Your productive income ratio may go up, but you may lose all your clients. On the other hand, when your contracts are on pre agreed rates, then you have to watch your time very closely.

Lastly, you may look at your maintenance route and efficiency and think that it sucks. You find that you've under estimated doing some jobs, even after reorganizing your routes and drive times. Do you cut jobs short and do shabby work, or do you settle for being less than perfect and perhaps even fess up to some clients saying that you underestimated their jobs?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-29-2009, 12:20 PM
Az Gardener Az Gardener is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Phoenix, Az
Posts: 3,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical Care View Post

Another thing... It's obvious that if you have a crew doing work on a time and material basis, the longer they work at a job site, the more the client will be billed, and the more money you make. Your productive income ratio may go up, but you may lose all your clients. On the other hand, when your contracts are on pre agreed rates, then you have to watch your time very closely.

Lastly, you may look at your maintenance route and efficiency and think that it sucks. You find that you've under estimated doing some jobs, even after reorganizing your routes and drive times. Do you cut jobs short and do shabby work, or do you settle for being less than perfect and perhaps even fess up to some clients saying that you underestimated their jobs?
How do you figure you may loose clients if you have some T & M clients? You still budget their time and staff accordingly. Its just that you have the freedom to do what you need to do to keep the place in top shape. So if you need more time you massage the schedule.

Estimating job times has zero to do with routing, that is unless travel time is a line item in your bid. No amount of scheduling will fix a bad bid. If the bid is bad you better fix it quickly. That may mean asking if the quality you are providing with the existing bid is up to their standards or raising their rate and spending more time to raise the level of quality, let them decide.
__________________


“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-29-2009, 03:49 PM
Stihl036pro Stihl036pro is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northeast
Posts: 232
Does any one keep track of there hours? We use Timescape and it keeps track of all the services that we do and the hours we spend doing the service for each customer. Awesome program, My business has changed for the better when we started to use it 2 years ago.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Stihl036pro Stihl036pro is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northeast
Posts: 232
Let me ask this....
Does any business use the information that they receive from there workers to better understand whats going on in the company. Their is a lot of companies that think they make money but they dont. How much per hour, per worker does your company need to break even and how much per hour, per worker does your company need to make a 20% profit? I want to see who can anwser these questions.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-29-2009, 08:11 PM
tinman's Avatar
tinman tinman is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ga
Posts: 1,348
detailed records are best to see how much you make compared to time you work in any part of your biz and for the possibility that you might sell it someday. Records would help that also.
__________________
Follow Me on twitter
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-30-2009, 01:33 AM
Az Gardener Az Gardener is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Phoenix, Az
Posts: 3,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stihl036pro View Post
Let me ask this....
Does any business use the information that they receive from there workers to better understand whats going on in the company. Their is a lot of companies that think they make money but they dont. How much per hour, per worker does your company need to break even and how much per hour, per worker does your company need to make a 20% profit? I want to see who can anwser these questions.
This is a good question and deserves its own thread. The short answer is it changes with every billable hour. The more employees you have producing income theoretically the lower your rate could be and still make a profit. I compartmentalize each crew, so each crew has its nut and the company has its own administration nut. This makes it easy to do projections. As more crews are added the their portion of the administration nut becomes less and less.

There is an extensive thread on this, the link is in the first 5 posts of this thread.
__________________


“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-31-2009, 12:09 PM
Critical Care's Avatar
Critical Care Critical Care is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 1,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener View Post
How do you figure you may loose clients if you have some T & M clients? You still budget their time and staff accordingly. Its just that you have the freedom to do what you need to do to keep the place in top shape. So if you need more time you massage the schedule.
The problem is that even with T & M clients, many of them aren't going to give you carte blanche freedom. They will still want to know roughly how much they're going to be charged to get the work done. If you underestimate the work required at a weekly maintenance account and continually end up charging the client twice what he was expecting, then that could cause problems. That's all I'm saying.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:50 AM.

Page generated in 0.10296 seconds with 7 queries