Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-15-2009, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

vanguard 5 mounting

Joey or anyone having used the vanguard or similar fixtures;

If the fixture protrudes beyond the lip of the slab, I may want to cut the brass plate that comes with it to match flush. I would also drill two holes to mount the plate to the slab.

My question is whether anyone has used a product like Loctite or another adhesive for this type of application. A Kichler rep I met once recommended this.

My next question, I sold my vise, so if I have to make that cut I'd just assume run to a shop and have someone cut the plates for me. Dumb question, but would that be a welder? None of my neighbors have benches, drill presses, etc.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Mike, I am sure that Joey will respond but here is what I have experienced with the Vanguard 8's. I just installed ten of these on a block wall with a cap stone. The mason with a masonary saw grooved out a notch for the wire and took a little off the stone to allow for the thickness of the plate on the Vanguard. He uses Bulldog adhesive on all of the stones and that is what we used to mount the Vanguard. He then glued the top stone down and I got to tell you they look amazing. Great little fixture for colums and stone walls that have a top stone. As far as cutting the bracket goes I am pretty sure that a vise and a sharp hack saw would do the job. A portable band saw would also be good. Hope that helps you out.

Ken

Last edited by emby; 07-16-2009 at 12:00 AM. Reason: update
Old 07-16-2009, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ken,

Have you done retro jobs with the vanguards?

I am wondering if the adhesive alone would be adequate. I'd rather not have to drill up into the cap, this is all older stuff reclaimed/rebuilt for the wall.

Mike
Old 07-16-2009, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by emby View Post
Hey Mike, I am sure that Joey will respond but here is what I have experienced with the Vanguard 8's. I just installed ten of these on a block wall with a cap stone. The mason with a masonary saw grooved out a notch for the wire and took a little off the stone to allow for the thickness of the plate on the Vanguard. He uses Bulldog adhesive on all of the stones and that is what we used to mount the Vanguard. He then glued the top stone down and I got to tell you they look amazing. Great little fixture for colums and stone walls that have a top stone. As far as cutting the bracket goes I am pretty sure that a vise and a sharp hack saw would do the job. A portable band saw would also be good. Hope that helps you out.

Ken

Great advice right here. I have not personally installed one but our in house field training guy says this would be the best way to do it.

You can cut that bracket/plate down. A 4" disc grinder with a cutting wheel would slice through the brass like butter!

I would not recommend gluing the entire fixture in a retro job because I could imagine it being a real PITA to get the fixture unstuck should you ever need to replace or repair it. Not saying the fixture will fail but anything could happen so keep preventative maintenance in mind. Just Anchor it in would be my advice there.

Good Luck!
Old 07-16-2009, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I wish I had some better install pics but here are the best I have of the Vanguard....

Old 07-16-2009, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

joey, not knocking anyone's work but I hope the contractor came in and leveled those steps out where your light is, that really bothers me.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

yeah I noticed that too.....I am sure he would have, that isnt even remotley close to being level. I am sure they grooved in for the wire and what not.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Re Post.....sorry
Old 07-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Sponsor

Vanguard

When flush mounting the Vanguard. Remove the two shroud screws you will see two screws holding the the socket mounting plate to the mortar plate. Remove the two screws and replace with an anchor style screw. This allows you to mount the fixture without the mortar plate. Review attached PDF of Vanguard without mortar plate.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Vanguard without mortar plate.pdf (31.0 KB, 21 views)
Old 07-16-2009, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thank you William George Baptist IV, Unique Lighting Systems Cheif Engineer!

LOL

Last edited by JoeyD; 07-16-2009 at 06:01 PM.