Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-15-2009, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ushio 10,000 bulb

I took James' advice and read through previous threads on the Ushio Ultraline 10,000 hr bulb.

Does anyone know if they revised anything in the manu process for these? The thread was 2 years old that cited significantly bad feedback from installers.

I just put in about 25 of these, and told the client to change them in two years with a servicing.

I'll be away, so I hoped it would be a good idea to go with those bulbs. Oh, well. I'll follow up here on the results.

Geez, now I wanna go back and see if they all look yellow.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I do not reccomend the 10K hour Ultraline lamps personally but we do have some customers who like them and use them with good results.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

They have not lasted any longer than the eurostar lamps for us. Any given lamp will have winners and loosers when it comes to life. I even have some cast lamps out there aproaching 4 years old while on the other hand I have some that didnt make it 2 mo.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I found that the Ushio Ultraline 10,000 MR16 lamps were a dismal failure. I installed hundreds of them in 2007 and had to replace all of them on warranty in 2008. On systems that I installed hour meters on I was getting about 700 to 800 hours on the lamps before the failed.

I sent a bunch of these back to Ushio for examination. It took months to hear anything back from them through my distributor and when we finally did get a response they blamed the issue on 'over volting'! I know absolutely, positively 100% that none of the Ultralines I installed were operating over 11.5 volts. They offered to replace the 30 or so that I sent back to them with new Ultralines... an offer I did not accept.

The whole episode cost me thousands of dollars in replacement lamps and labour. I was not impressed at all.

I have had similar dismal performance from the Ushio 1032 and Ushio 2060 MR16 lamps and know for a fact that I am not alone there. I also have tried the Ushio Eurostar lamp and found that the aluminized reflector was a very poor performer, comparable to a prism lamp IMO. The standard Ushio 2040 and 3540 are ok, but with all the other problems I just won't go there anymore.

Stick with the best; GE Precise Constant Colour MR16s. If you really want an extended life lamp then go with a quality LED MR16... new stuff available very very soon!

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 07-16-2009, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

James speaking of quality LED lamps, that Kumho really did take a turn for the worst. We are now offering the new Ushio LED, I say NEW becuase they made some really good improvements. But that Kumho lamp changed, they did something to the color and it really sucked! So much for that 2 year warranty huh? LOL Good thing we barely sold any of them.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Joey. The Kumho product has in fact been changed. I have not been able to procure anything from Kumho since late in 2008. I know that their ET series drivers were an issue and believe they have working on improving the voltage range of the LED MR16 line. As for product availability, well as I said, I have not had any positive feedback from them on this. As a result I have gone in a new direction and engineered my own line of LED lamps from the ground up... but Lawnsite will not allow me to discuss any of the details here as they feel it is a form of advertising! (how annoying is that??)

As for the Ushio Synergy line... watch out. Ushio does not manufacture that line at all. They have a term limit license agreement with the actual manufacturer who has recently been acquired by a massive lighting conglomerate. I would not be 100% sure that Ushio will be able to extend that agreement with the new owners as they have interests in other lamp companies. Ultimately, who knows.... no other information is forthcoming just yet. Also, the Ushio Synergy lamp has had availabilty and heat issues. The lamps I tested were not running below the rated heat spec of the LED Chips when installed in sealed fixtures.

www.integralighting.com

Old 07-16-2009, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks James,. We are well aware of said company who is making the lamps for Ushio and their position/relationship. So far things look fine on the Ushio LED but only time will tell. We are still hesitant on LED in general. Very dissapointed in the Kumho.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It is really too soon to tell about LED in general right now. I have hundreds of led string lights failing premature that need to be replaced every so often. On the other hard I have some that have been on for a year and a half straight with no issues. Too hit or miss to be preaching about it now.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah look at the the Kumho, it was looking pretty promising for all of about 6 months! LOL Only time will tell!
Old 07-16-2009, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Now now, be fair. The Kumho Luxxo MT series of LED lamps that I purchased, installed and distributed all through 2008 and early 2009 are performing flawlessly. I have had NO product failures of that lamp and I have had no complaints either. They are/were a solid lamp.

Why the factory decided to re-engineer the entire line of Luxxo LED MR16s is beyond me and something I strongly discouraged. They had the MT series on the money, it was the ET series that had some driver issues above 12V. For some reason they thought it was prudent to re-do the entire line. I have not seen the output of the reworked Kumho LED lamps as they have not indicated that any are in stock here in N. America.

In any case, I have had a new LED MR16 lamp engineered and is in production right now, one that actually kicks the Kumho and Synergy's posterior all over town! Nothing like it on the market as I have re-engineered the driver technology to be "extra special"

www.integralighting.com