Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-16-2009, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Since I asked about Bermuda, Zoysia height?

My new back yard is doing quite well. Its been about 7 weeks since the sod was installed. It has been watered and we have had good rain. All the brown spots have turned green and the seams are starting to fill in. It looks to be due for a cut, and according to the landscaper, I can start cutting it. I have a few questions.

How high should I cut it?

Should I fertilize before or after the cut?

When SHOULD I fertilize it? and, with what?

Mulch it or bag it? (21" rotary 6 hp Craftsman push, rear discharge with a VERY sharp blade. )

Thanks
Old 07-16-2009, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What kinda of Zoysia? There are many varieties but the rule of thumb should apply for the first cut, cut no more than a third of the blade height. The different Zoysias have different fert "wants" (as well as your soil).
Old 07-16-2009, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Humm, I have no idea what variety of Zoysia it is. Actually, as you may have guessed, I had no idea there were differing types!

Soil is red GA clay under the sod. Yeah, I know, I need a soil test. Should I wait for a while for the test since it is "new" dirt?
Old 07-16-2009, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You should be cutting zoysia once a week with a reel at 1" or less. Trying to go low with a rotary just makes a mess.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-17-2009, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
You should be cutting zoysia once a week with a reel at 1" or less. Trying to go low with a rotary just makes a mess.
Not true for all zoysia types. I have Empire Zoysia and cut with a rotary mower at 2.5 inches.

google image:

mine:
Old 07-17-2009, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

To each his own. I am used to lawns cut short. That Empire zoysia would look incredible if it were cut at 3/4" with a 7 blade reel.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
That Empire zoysia would look incredible if it were cut at 3/4" with a 7 blade reel.
I agree. EZ is used on golf courses at 3/4" or less. My yard is way too hilly and uneven to think about a reel cut.
I do like the feel of the long wide blade when walking bare foot though.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Okay, I have Emerald Zoysia. According to my landscaper, it is the same stuff they use on golf courses around here. It seems to be wearing pretty well with my Berner and Beagle. I do have one small burn I noticed today. ;( (I ran out of supplements for the dogs.)

So, how much like St. Augustine is this stuff? I had a very nice lawn in Florida that was some hybrid St. Augustine and I loved it. I didn't do much with it, but It looked great and wore well with my giant dog. I did have a mole cricket problem once, but was able to take care of it before it got too bad. Again, it recovered very quickly. What kind of pest problems should I be looking for with Zoysia?
Old 07-17-2009, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Powdered lime for your dog pee spots.
You will need to Lime your yard if you have clay. I put out 2,000lbs per acre every other year. Bring some soil samples to your local Extension Office, they will tell you how much Lime to put out.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by T56 Impala View Post
Okay, I have Emerald Zoysia. According to my landscaper, it is the same stuff they use on golf courses around here. It seems to be wearing pretty well with my Berner and Beagle. I do have one small burn I noticed today. ;( (I ran out of supplements for the dogs.)

So, how much like St. Augustine is this stuff? I had a very nice lawn in Florida that was some hybrid St. Augustine and I loved it. I didn't do much with it, but It looked great and wore well with my giant dog. I did have a mole cricket problem once, but was able to take care of it before it got too bad. Again, it recovered very quickly. What kind of pest problems should I be looking for with Zoysia?
If I had to rate the zoysia and st augustine on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being lower/easier maintenance, 1 being difficult, high inputs required. In my area, zoysia is an 8 to maintain and st augustine is a 4. Chinch bug ravages st augustine in hot, low rainfall areas. You might have some problems with billbugs and grubs with zoysia, however I would rather be treating for those pests rather than chinch bugs. Weed control is much easier in zoysia as well. Many herbicides used in zoysia cannot be applied to st augustine. My only caution is to keep the zoysia cut low and often. It will form thatch if allowed to grow high.