Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-16-2009, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Poa control / eradication

Hereís the situationÖ

2nd full season of taking care of my own turf.

This spring had a good amount of Poa Annua seed head action. As the temperatures here in NJ have been moderate at best I still have active seed heads growing. However I think Iím starting to see the POA stress just a little.

Iím talking about 15 or so 12Ē clumps with noticeable seed head production over a 10,000 sq/ft area. Now, since I didnít catch clippings this spring, I imagine my fall turf could possibly be infested. Iíve been thinking of putting down a late summer pre-emergent application.

I put down split apps of Dimension .15 / 0-0-7 late March and Mid May. Iíve had great crabgrass control thus far, but my lawn is also relatively dense and has been relatively crab grass free for a number of years. (You Organic guysÖYes, maybe I could get away with not putting a crab grass pre-emergent down, but I havenít grown ďa setĒ, to take the chance yet.)

I believe Iíve read that if Iím going to go with a late summer pre-emergent that I should probably not use Dimension as that was my Spring app. What pre-emerge is suggested at this point.

Also, if I were to throw down the suggested pre-emerge early to mid-august is there any chance of doing any over-seeding this fall? Even if itís late fall (i.e. mid October, or is it not worth the expense if an early freeze comes through?

Iíve also been thinking of GLYíing these areas and reseeding, but it seems to me that the seeds which have already fallen are going to germinate regardlessÖ Have to stop the germination first and whatever does pop up and matures over the winter Iíll take out next spring before prolific seed head production and have a multiple year approach to eradication.

Of course if I had unlimited funds for the yard, I would have spent the $350.00+ for the Quick36 catcher/bag and caught the clippings and purchased a jug of PrimoMaxx to assist in lowering seed head production and this fall would start Prograss treatments, but Iíve spent way too much money this year on all the toys;-) So expensive herbicides are not going to flyÖ at least this year.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-16-2009, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dim will help in the fall but I have found prograss will nail it...

you can help slow it but mowing low, watering less but deep, plug soil etc.

But you need a herb to kill it...or dig up grass..
Old 07-16-2009, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you put a pre-m down I do not think you will be able to seed. I had some problems putting pre-m down in June and seed not germinating in September/October. I had success using barricade in August for Poa. The following year the lawn was clear of poa.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVM View Post
If you put a pre-m down I do not think you will be able to seed. I had some problems putting pre-m down in June and seed not germinating in September/October. I had success using barricade in August for Poa. The following year the lawn was clear of poa.
Thanks... Appreciate the feedback...
Old 07-17-2009, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will just say make sure you know what you want..Pre / post control. Re-seeding ASAP or waiting XX time...cost per 1K sq/ft etc....
Old 07-18-2009, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx24 View Post
I will just say make sure you know what you want..Pre / post control. Re-seeding ASAP or waiting XX time...cost per 1K sq/ft etc....
What do you mean?

Are you saying I need to plan my action?

i.e. If I throw the pre down, knowing that I won't be able to overseed this fall?
Old 07-18-2009, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please_Be_Green View Post
What do you mean?

Are you saying I need to plan my action?

i.e. If I throw the pre down, knowing that I won't be able to overseed this fall?
Yes, I am saying you need to think about what you want to do 1 to 2 months down the road.

The Prem above was an example of cost vs what you get...

AKA, the product you select should be what you want..or the products listed have pros/cons.