Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-17-2009, 06:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

late blight on tomatoes

I know this is lawn care forum, but I thought you guys might be able to help. We have late blight pretty rampant around here, so far I have been lucky but a buddy of mine not so much. I found the info below. Does anybody know where I can get any of these for the garden.

Thanks
Bryan

Management In Organic Crops
Apply fungicides preventatively, using a five-day schedule when conditions are favorable. Copper is effective for protecting a crop, but copper has been found to be ineffective when used as the sole practice for controlling late blight once it has started to develop. Other OMRI-listed fungicides labeled for late blight include Sporatec, Sonata, Serenade Max, and Companion. It is important to scout regularly and promptly destroy affected plants when found to reduce the amount of inoculum in a field. It is recommended that plants with symptoms be physically pulled up plus a few border plants, preferably on a bright sunny day when possible, then tarp the plants; spores will be killed by sunlight and also heat under the tarp. Scout daily thereafter for a few days to see if more plants develop symptoms. Clean after working in infested fields to avoid moving spores on equipment and workers. As soon as harvest is complete or the field is abandoned disk down field.

The specific directions on fungicide labels must be adhered to. They supersede these recommendations (above), if there is a conflict. Check state registration and organic approval before using a product. Any reference to commercial products, trade or brand names is for information only; no endorsement is intended.

Some of this information on management was provided by Dr. Steve Johnson, University of Maine Cooperative Extension, and Dr. Tom Zitter, Cornell University.

www.CTPreservation.com

www.ChristmasDecorNY.com

"What do you mean we canít get rid of those weeds in time? Then go over there and put some fancy signs with Latin names in front of them."
Walt Disney
Old 07-17-2009, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf hokie View Post
I know this is lawn care forum, but I thought you guys might be able to help. We have late blight pretty rampant around here, so far I have been lucky but a buddy of mine not so much. I found the info below. Does anybody know where I can get any of these for the garden.

Thanks
Bryan

Management In Organic Crops
Apply fungicides preventatively, using a five-day schedule when conditions are favorable. Copper is effective for protecting a crop, but copper has been found to be ineffective when used as the sole practice for controlling late blight once it has started to develop. Other OMRI-listed fungicides labeled for late blight include Sporatec, Sonata, Serenade Max, and Companion. It is important to scout regularly and promptly destroy affected plants when found to reduce the amount of inoculum in a field. It is recommended that plants with symptoms be physically pulled up plus a few border plants, preferably on a bright sunny day when possible, then tarp the plants; spores will be killed by sunlight and also heat under the tarp. Scout daily thereafter for a few days to see if more plants develop symptoms. Clean after working in infested fields to avoid moving spores on equipment and workers. As soon as harvest is complete or the field is abandoned disk down field.

The specific directions on fungicide labels must be adhered to. They supersede these recommendations (above), if there is a conflict. Check state registration and organic approval before using a product. Any reference to commercial products, trade or brand names is for information only; no endorsement is intended.

Some of this information on management was provided by Dr. Steve Johnson, University of Maine Cooperative Extension, and Dr. Tom Zitter, Cornell University.
Try Paul Sach's up at North Country organics, seranade is bacillus subtillis I believe
Copper is very effective but also toxic to fish so be careful where you spray
The first confirmed case of Late Blight in Washington DC happened last week
Old 07-17-2009, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is Late Blight potentially devastating as some have predicted ???

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Is Late Blight potentially devastating as some have predicted ???
We are starting to get it here in the Buffalo area. It's also effecting potatoes to.

This what caused the Great Potato Famine in Ireland .
Old 07-17-2009, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It is recommended to pull the plants immediately and burn them or lay them out under black plastic. If the spore is transfered over to the other plants they are goners too

The spores travel on the wind and will infect entire areas
Old 07-17-2009, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So are any grain crops affected by late blight ???

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Phytophthora infestans is a big bummer, there was actually a grower out of Alabama that produces tomato sets for retail, they have just pulled over 1 million plants back that became infested from their greenhouses

here is an article on it http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne...to_LateBlt.htm

Our NPP product is very effective on P. Infestans if you would like the data send me an email. There are a lot of eyes on here that would also like the information and I would rather not give it to them, they are called competitors. It will be labeled for its use next spring, fingers crossed
Old 07-17-2009, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Member

`oh jah, why in the world are we still in a popular war advantage mode with organics???? tricoderma is parasitic to pythoria. so fill the vacuum with competition............
Old 07-17-2009, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the replies and great information.

An executive decision was made and the plants will be pulled and burned in the AM. It was decided better to lose this years plants, rather than fight the disease, eventually lose and take the chance of it overwintering and losing again next year.

The plants will be rotated even though it is a small area, we figure best to get them away from where the are currently planted.

Thanks again for the help

www.CTPreservation.com

www.ChristmasDecorNY.com

"What do you mean we canít get rid of those weeds in time? Then go over there and put some fancy signs with Latin names in front of them."
Walt Disney
Old 07-18-2009, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grohorganic View Post
`oh jah, why in the world are we still in a popular war advantage mode with organics???? tricoderma is parasitic to pythoria. so fill the vacuum with competition............
I'm not sure what instructions are on trichoderma harzainum products but I had some ages ago which instructed using the dry spores on the plant. It is better if you grow out the sprouts a little first in a bucket of water with some molasses (probably 2 tablespoons in 5 gallons). Give it 18 to 24 hrs, then spray on the plants.