Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-17-2009, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Clean Slate...what would you do?

Hey guys,

This is about as a fresh start as you get...pool is nearly complete...got to get something down so my yard doesn't wash away...

What would you do? Upstate South Carolina, today is July 17th. Concrete decking still needs to be poured. I've got to build a retaining wall on the deep end. And the large area on the shallow end is about 1200 square feet.

Thanks...

Greg
Old 07-17-2009, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

18" raised beds 20" deep around the concrete decking. Load them up with a dripper system and a rose bush every 22". Variety of colours.

You asked!
Old 07-17-2009, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Knock out roses in areas where nobody will contact them(thorns) and encore azaleas in other areas..
Old 07-17-2009, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Member

If you do roses, I STRONGLY suggest you do a raised bed. You will have much better results. I suggest they be at least 18" deep, 24" will be better. If possible, don't use treated lumber, if you do, make sure it is a minimum of 4"x4". Fill 1/2 the depth with loose, clean native soil. A small tiller should be used to make sure it is loose and well aerated.

Fill 1/2 of the remaining area with a good black top soil. Not the bag crap you by at a box store. Till again to mix sell. If you have horses, or know how to get stall muck, get some. Fill the rest of the bed with the muck (Horse manure and hay and whatever else might be there) Again, till to mix well.

Plant roses. If you don't know the correct way to plant them, Post up and I'll let you know. You would be better off buying from someone like Witherspoon. Box store roses, well, they may all be from the same place, but the ones I order are much healthier plants IMO. After planting, top off with stall muck. Once the bed settles a bit, again top it off with stall muck. Mulch with oak leaves and nothing else. Make sure you keep the root splice ABOVE the soil.

You should reapply stall muck every other year. The first year you will need to weed the bed almost every other day. Not everything a horse eats gets digested! I would also take the time to install a drip system. Even if you don't have an in ground system, you can install one that you can hook a hose up to with a manual timer. Fertilize every six week during the growing season. Sprinkle 6-0-0 around the base of the plant, about 6" - 8" from the main stalk. Use enough so that you can define a circle around each plant.

Stay away from AIO fertilizers and pest control. They do not work. Use Volck oil monthly to control pests. Make sure you get the under side of the leaves. If you have Japanese beetles, you need to trap them. Very few things actually kill Japanese beetles. They are a real PITA! Trapping does work very well though. Remember, you do need a correct balance of pests for your plants to thrive. If you kill one off completely, another will take over with a vengeance and wipe out your roses before you can stop them. In the case of spider mites, it can take as little as 3 days to kill you plants.

Good luck and let us know what you decide! As a personal preference, I would not use Knock Outs. MY OPINION. I would stick with nice floribunda and hybrid teas. Solid colours and no whites.

Last edited by T56 Impala; 07-17-2009 at 06:01 PM.