Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 04-01-2009, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Super Duty 48" for a Trimstar 48"

I was told today that a walk behind will handle a hill much better than a ZTR so I wanted to get your valuable opinions given I have never used a walk behind. I have a hill that runs across my back yard that has approximately a 23 degree grade, I purchased a Super Duty 48" last June and just haven't been able to get it to cooperate on this hill, I end up leaving skid marks on my way down. I was looking to sell my Super Duty for around $5,900 and thinking I could turn around and buy a Trimstar 48". Is this a better route to take than going to a tractor style mower? To be honest with you I am not real excited about going to a tractor style.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Post a pic of the hill. Also how big of a area is the hill and how big is the rest of the yard. Are you mowing the hill side ways? Angled? Up and down? The ZTR in my opinion holds a hill better than a tractor. The Trimstar will beat the ZTR though. Seeing the whole situation will help us pick out what is the best machine for the job.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Take a look at the attached pics and let me know if you think the Trimstar will handle the hill better than my Super Duty. I have never used a walk behind so I have no idea how they respond. My lot is 1/2 acre, after taking out the space for my house and the drive ways I probably don't mow more than 12,000 sq. feet and the hill is about 6,000 sq. feet. With my ZTR I have been mowing it up and down, it is impossible to do it side ways as the front end doesn't hold and heads down hill. You will notice in the pics that the grass is not great on the hill, my goal is to turn it into a nice grassy hill and that is why I want to be able to mow it.
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2009, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would think your mower would be able to handle that hill. Take it at a angle and I'm guessing it will go up it easily. Mowing it sideways should be possible also. Go slow and the bottom wheel lever should be pushed more than the top lever (think of the top wheel slightly dragging compared to the bottom wheel that is pushing up). Once the grass gets established you'll be able to mow faster also.

The Trimstar would have no problems with that hill. Also with your lot size it probably fits the yard better.

Either mower would work but if you can't figure the ZTR go with the W/B.

Also I noticed scalping on the top of the hills crest. Use your foot and lift the deck up when you go over that part to reduce scalping.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I am able to go up it fine, the problem is when I have to go down it the mower sometimes looses traction and begins to skid (you can see some of the marks on the hill). I have worked with the Super Duty for almost a year now and haven't been able to get it to cooperate fully so I think I will give the Trimstar a try if you say it will perform better than the ZTR. I appreciate you taking time to provide valuable insight. Thanks!
Old 04-02-2009, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

At first the Trimstar (or any walkbehind) will take some time to get use to. Play with it in a parking lot or driveway. After you get the hang of it your yard will be done as quickly as the ZTR took.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Member

OK, thanks! Is there going to be any advantage of one Trimstar over the other (36" vs 48")? I'm not as concerned about the money as I am about getting the right machine.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

With what I see a 48" will do fine.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I read in an old post the new Trimstar will be available in 36"/15hp, 48"/17hp, 54"/19hp or 54"/23hp with electric start. Why is the electric start only available on the 54"/23hp? Is the 17hp going to have ample power for the dual hydros and be able pull a good hill? I would hate to lug it down. I don't really want a 54" deck but I'm considering it given the additional hp and electric start. Any chance of getting a 48" with 23hp and electric start?
Old 04-06-2009, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by browng View Post
I read in an old post the new Trimstar will be available in 36"/15hp, 48"/17hp, 54"/19hp or 54"/23hp with electric start. Why is the electric start only available on the 54"/23hp? Is the 17hp going to have ample power for the dual hydros and be able pull a good hill? I would hate to lug it down. I don't really want a 54" deck but I'm considering it given the additional hp and electric start. Any chance of getting a 48" with 23hp and electric start?
The electric start is only available on the 54" due to cost, it gets expensive adding it to smaller deck and hp units.
The 48" will be fine in your application, you have to remember your at a much lower weight with a walk behind.
No chance of a 23/48 electric start, sorry.

Pj