Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-18-2009, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Residential guy having problem making his lawn pretty!! HELP!!

My lawn is about 3 acres. Around the house is nice thick sod. The rest of the yard is just your typical mixed up variety grass. I'm not sure exactly what kind of grass my sod is.

Anyways I am sure yall have a name for what is going on, but I am just going to describe it.

Where I have the thick grass:

When I make one pass with the mower it looks great. When I make another pass it will look great, but every once in awhile I make a pass and it cuts into the other paths, like it cuts at an angle or something. I got to looking in the yard and I see that the yard isn't completely level. When I get onto a small embankment or the mower dips into a low spot, its makes this ugly line in my lawn.

I have a neighbor who has a yard full of these and it just looks horrible. I am assuming he has a blade that is bent or something though cause his is everywhere.

Can you provide a resolvement to this? I am getting on the mower here in a few minutes and can easily take a picture of what i am talking about.

Thanks,

John
Old 07-18-2009, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Member

I believe you must have a scalping problem. Are you using a floating deck? If so then it is dipping down further on one side causing the blade to dig deaper into the grass or dirt. To fix it you either should raise your deck some or try to hit bumps/dips square on and not on an angle. Or possibly aviod them all together.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to the wonderfull world of mowing,

I would check my equiptment to see if something is not adjusted properly, and or bent blade/spindel, or even loose blade. doesnt matter what type of mower you have, from time to time you will end up with these unlevel cuts. you can raise the deck up and it will help to resolve this issue, even to the point of Very high, then correct it with th line trimmer. or level the turff areas. also as you may know when you turn you can have these scalped areas where the deck is tilted to one side... a way to resolve this is to raise the deck or turn off blades.

Best of luck to you
Old 07-18-2009, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonddude View Post
I believe you must have a scalping problem. Are you using a floating deck? If so then it is dipping down further on one side causing the blade to dig deaper into the grass or dirt. To fix it you either should raise your deck some or try to hit bumps/dips square on and not on an angle. Or possibly aviod them all together.
Yes I have a floating deck. I had basically eliminated it from being the issue since I don't see this happening anywhere else in the yard. The rest of the yard looks great, its just this this part. I will check everything else out though. I guess the best way to check the deck for being level is just to simply measure the distance from it to the ground (on a level surface of course)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohiaa View Post
Welcome to the wonderfull world of mowing,

I would check my equiptment to see if something is not adjusted properly, and or bent blade/spindel, or even loose blade. doesnt matter what type of mower you have, from time to time you will end up with these unlevel cuts. you can raise the deck up and it will help to resolve this issue, even to the point of Very high, then correct it with th line trimmer. or level the turff areas. also as you may know when you turn you can have these scalped areas where the deck is tilted to one side... a way to resolve this is to raise the deck or turn off blades.

Best of luck to you
It is always on these unlevel grounds or when I turn. You pretty much hit the nail on the head with that.

I have a problem with grass getting clogged under the deck. It don't guess its enough to hurt anything, surely this is a common problem.

Oh and I have a Gravely ZT2448 residential.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Also check your air pressures.