Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-18-2009, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Natural Swimming Pools/Ponds

I have been looking into these pools and have noticed that many of my customers are very interested in these things; there might be a large market for natural pools. How many of you have built a natural pool? If so, what is your market for them?

Thanks
Old 07-19-2009, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Natural Swimming Pools

I have offered the option of Natural Swimming Pools to my customers for over 4 years. I am sorry to say that I have yet to install the first one.
There is a potential market, but you are battling bureaucracy in the form of state and local health ordinances preventing this type of installation and the notion (that the ad gurus have effectively instilled in the American public) that everything has to be sterile.
I even contacted the Center for Disease Control to get their take on such an installation. They claimed that they had never heard of this type of swimming facility, even though they are extensive in Europe and Southeast Asia in the form of both private and public facilities. They did comment that they did see a definite problem with a Natural Swimming Pool for community use. The CDC did say that a residential installation would possibly, and I emphasize POSSIBLY, be safe enough for single family use, but they were reluctant to issue a public statement. Their main concern with a Natural Swimming Pool is the presence of fecal coliform bacteria especially E. Coli in levels that are above the Federal guidelines.
I have had many inquiries from as far away as Tennessee (I am in Florida) but no evidence of actual installations. Here again, they probably ran into a brick wall of state and local ordinances governing swimming facilities.
I continue to offer this option to my customers with the hope that someday the bureaucracy will get current with present day technology and scientific research. I say this because it has been proven in Europe and Southeast Asia that a 'Natural Swimming Pool', properly designed and constructed, poses a much lower health risk than it's usual chemical based counterpart.
I could continue with this subject for several pages, but simply put,you are fighting antiquated ordinances and a large, brain-washed portion of the public.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

could you explain what it is?
Old 07-19-2009, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your question is vague, be more specific.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I have thought of trying this for years after watching a large scape co. in the Lehigh Valley do this first one. Notice the pool skimmer to the right of the falls. A 2" line right over the liner to the pool filter. Residential area & no fence. A couple of years ago I was working for an excavator & he wanted to do it "large". Hence, photo 2. Has since moved & don't know status. I see one of these in my near future.
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2009, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Landscaperbob-

If you use regular commercial pool filtration, you still have a commercial pool, even though it may have a natural appearance. The Natural Swimming Pools in this thread utilize the same filtration as ponds: mechanical, biological and phyto, and preferably a commercial grade UV Sterilizer. They are the same as a pond except definitely deeper and somewhat larger. They do not contain any fish, however. A commercial pool will use chemicals and/or a salt generator (I think that's what they are called). A Natural swimming Pool utilizes neither, relying basically on natural proceses for water quality.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

ok that answers my question. why not just bring the both of them together to form the perfect pool? a rubber liner with large boulders stacked up on top of it, sand between the cracks, a sand beach, stone water fall stone stairs...... ya da ya da but then have the normal chemical, salt, uv treatment to keep it super clean.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What you are describing has surely already been done, but is not what is referred to as a Natural Swimming Pool such as the lead post in this thread by FNC asked about. The main selling point of a Natural Swimming Pool is it's lack of chemical use. Many people today would like to avoid any more contact with chemicals than they are already exposed to from food additives, pesticides, herbicides, commercial fertilizers, ad nauseum.

Effective anti-bacterial action can be acheived with the proper balance of mechanical, biological and phyto filtration of which the latter is the most important. Certain plants, such as Typha (Catttail) has been shown under controlled testing to actually reduce the E. coli levels in water. The scientists don't yet know how this plant does this, but they have the results to prove that it does. Many other aquatic plant have similar abilities, so the type of plants used in the phyto filter is important. You can still use the decorative aquatics for looks.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Here's some good info on this subject. http://www.ippca.com/phpBB2/viewtopi...swimming+ponds
Old 07-22-2009, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Notice on second page the second post!!