Register free!

Old 07-22-2009, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Larry, excellent link. I agree with the essence of that forum thread. An installation is either a Pond or a Pool. It cannot be both because of the human use factor and the related health concerns. Natural Swimming Pools can be built to conform to state and local building codes, it is the Health Departments that are the toughest to deal with. As long a the CDC continues to publicly advocate chlorine as the only effective bacterial control, not much can be done. If irradiated food is safe for human consumption then why isn't irradiated water? Why, because the chemical industry would take one h-ll of a bottom line hit if suddenly all Pool owners quit using chemical treatments. These chemicals, incidentally, are recommended to be use in amounts that will only maintain the levels of harmful microbes below Federal guidelines. If they were used in sufficient strength to completely sterilize the water, it would then be toxic to humans. Commercial grade UV Sterilizers, like those accepted for use in irradiating food, WILL reduce microbial levels to far less than chemical use AND the resulting water is completely safe and non-toxic to humans.
All you have to do is to go out and convince the bureaucratic Po-Bahs.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Swimming Ponds

We build natural swimming ponds designed to function like natural lakes and rivers. Notice the comparison is NOT to a traditional swimming pool. If you enter this market in our society you have to adjust the frame of reference to something reasonable like a natural river.

Your contract should also reflect this caveat.

With any new trend, there are hordes of people claiming proficiency. That makes the market more volatile for actual qualified swimming pond designers . I have been amazed at how many landscape architects are suddenly self proclaimed experts in aquatic ecology.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought that you guys would be interested in this link.

http://www.clear-water-revival.com/#/home

This is an English company.

Last edited by tadpole; 08-11-2009 at 07:14 PM. Reason: incomplete
Old 08-11-2009, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

im just not sold on that idea, people just want to get into a "clean" pool. not into a pool with "weeds" and "yuky stuff" growing in it. ( "what a client would say"). i just want to do a big all stone and sand pool made of huge boulders stacked up onto of a heavy duty linner. have a nice little sand beach and water fall but it will all be chlorinated and filtered just like a normal pool.

i think i could do one for the same price if not less then a gunite pool.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You might want to do some research on the effects of Chlorine on EPDM. You may or may not have a problem in this regard.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hmm I didn't even think about that. Its just in a "idea phase".
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-20-2009, 05:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
I thought that you guys would be interested in this link.

http://www.clear-water-revival.com/#/home

This is an English company.
Good Day fellow ponderers. I have been a member for the past year, but have had little time to pop in. I hope to be able to participate more as I enjoy all the advice given here.

This is a nice link, and this pond http://www.naturalswimmingpools-freeformplanted.co.uk/ is similar to what Oase markets in Europe and is trying to sell in the states.

I am still unsure what the concerns are here. I understand what is being said, but I can't quite grasp what the problem is. I am not a defender of Oase, but I am a strong supporter of the swimming pond concept. And I certainly don't want to be regulated as a swimming pool contractor.

Basically, we are looking at a rectangular pond with up flow, bog/bio filtration on three sides. I can put fish in it if I want and go swimming with these same fish if I want. The construction is no different than many of the water features I build now, except these are larger and use vertical sides to reduce algae build up and maintenance.

I think the concept is fun.

I have attended several Oase open houses at their warehouse in CA. I received volumes of new information each time I went, both on Oase products and on the pond industry in general. Oase has made many changes to their marketing information concerning this product. From what I understand, they have had more conversations with government agencies than I would ever wish on my worst enemy.

So build a pond with rock and gravel or just a liner and bio falls, or build a more formal pond that makes it easy to swim around in without mixing up all the sediment on the bottom and making murky water. The point is that it is still more of pond than a swimming pool.

I also read a few posts about ladders in the pool. I don't think there is any law about building steps coming out of the pond. But I do know in Oase's "kit" that the motors etc are under the deck and the ladder comes off of the deck to access the water. I guess a ladder with good treads would be less slippery than rocks on a beach etc.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Large "Swimming" Pond featured on this months Watershapes Magazine

Bob Dews from NC has the cover shot and big article on a huge swimming pond in Watershapes Magazine this last month. It is a great article and a beautiful pond.

It uses AquaUltraviolet Ultima filtration coupled with lots of UV. Also incorporates lots of bog planting for natural filtration. Suposedly the pond stays crystal clear. The thing that surprised me was the Jandy swimming pool heaters used to temper the water.

It is basically a pond that you can swim in.

By the way, this is a great magazine mostly focused on high end pool building. It is free to subscribe and inspiring to say the least.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I will post some pictures of my pond we are just rebuilding it it is 30 feet wide 21 feet front to back and 5 feet deep with steps to walk in and out i guess you could swim in it but it is a pond and there is nothing wrong with swimming in ponds that are proprely filtered
Old 01-08-2010, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

pretty cool thread thanks guys!