Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-18-2009, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

United Trailers Decent

I have a dealer pretty close that sells United trailers. Will they hold up to daily wear? This is the one I am considering 8.5' x 24', 5200 axles, two lights, one vent. Price is $5825 I think.

Would I be better off with a Pace or Haulmark? I'll pay whatever it takes since I will have this a long time.

Also, does a 24' turn around in a subdivision court without too much trouble???

Isn't she pretty!
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2009, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

From what I have seen, United is a 'decent' trailer. Not sure where you are in Indiana but here near Elkhart (Northern IN) we have alot to choose from. The exact trailer you are looking at is around $5900 w/ 3500# spring axles. However, I had a custom quote from Storm Mfg. in Elkhart on a 24' x 8.5' w/ 5200# torsion axles and radial tires, L.E.D. lights, dual axle brakes, heavy ramp door, etc. Also had them put 4' plywood up the sides then vinyl the rest of the way and ceiling. This is a little tougher than the all vinyl walls. When they go to 5200# axles they upgrade main frame rails to 6" box instead of 6" I-Beam making it a "true" car hauler trailer, also 16" O.C. floor instead of the lighter weight 24" O.C. trailers. Also marine grade floor.

So, don't rule out the United, but make sure they didn't just put some 5200# spring axles under there. If you're in Indiana then you are no more than 5 hrs from Elkhart. It would be worth giving Storm a call. I think you would end up with a better trailer when it was all said and done.Check out their website and get ahold of Matt. It's a mom/pop outfit but they do all custom orders and do good work.

One more thing. ALot of people around here won't offer a seamless side trailer like United. There has been little proof that it will withstand daily use year after year. Storm will go with every other seam color matched fasteners, but not a seamless. Oh, and my quote for the above was $5400. That was direct using a dealer in town to run it through (I was related to the dealer). So, even if you can't get a discounted price you'll still be right near the $5800 you are looking to spend on that United.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
From what I have seen, United is a 'decent' trailer. Not sure where you are in Indiana but here near Elkhart (Northern IN) we have alot to choose from. The exact trailer you are looking at is around $5900 w/ 3500# spring axles. However, I had a custom quote from Storm Mfg. in Elkhart on a 24' x 8.5' w/ 5200# torsion axles and radial tires, L.E.D. lights, dual axle brakes, heavy ramp door, etc. Also had them put 4' plywood up the sides then vinyl the rest of the way and ceiling. This is a little tougher than the all vinyl walls. When they go to 5200# axles they upgrade main frame rails to 6" box instead of 6" I-Beam making it a "true" car hauler trailer, also 16" O.C. floor instead of the lighter weight 24" O.C. trailers. Also marine grade floor.

So, don't rule out the United, but make sure they didn't just put some 5200# spring axles under there. If you're in Indiana then you are no more than 5 hrs from Elkhart. It would be worth giving Storm a call. I think you would end up with a better trailer when it was all said and done.Check out their website and get ahold of Matt. It's a mom/pop outfit but they do all custom orders and do good work.

One more thing. ALot of people around here won't offer a seamless side trailer like United. There has been little proof that it will withstand daily use year after year. Storm will go with every other seam color matched fasteners, but not a seamless. Oh, and my quote for the above was $5400. That was direct using a dealer in town to run it through (I was related to the dealer). So, even if you can't get a discounted price you'll still be right near the $5800 you are looking to spend on that United.

I checked out their website. Do you know what their warranty is? The link on the website didn't work. The United has a 25 year floor warranty, 5 year limited on the rest. I thought that was pretty good.

How fast can they build? Do you have any pictures of your trailer?

Thank you!
Old 07-19-2009, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I went to a Pace dealer today and all they had were the smaller 6x10 and 6x12. The United seemed to have the edge on fit/finish.

I also went to a Wells Cargo dealer, but all they had was a few motorcycle trailers and a car hauler. They appeared to be very well built.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't end up buying the trailer. I thought it over for a week or so and decided for my needs right now I had someone else build a custom 20' open trailer. It was a REALLY hard choice between the two, but I figured next season if I still have a need for the enclosed I will have them build it.
I do not know their warranty. When I talked to them it was about a 2 week build time. July 1st they moved into a new building and were supposed to be down for 2 weeks. That should mean they were back up and into production last week.
Here is Matt's cell phone. I would say give him a call and he can answer any questions you have. It would be worth your time. My grandfather has a Storm top of the line latemodel racecar hauler with about every option on it. It's 10 yrs old and looks like new. He takes very good care of it and only uses it once a week to go racin'. Tell him you talked to Adam and he can probably run it through Dually Depot here in town. Like I said, there's no reason he can't put my exact quoted trailer together for you for what they want for the United trailers.

Matt (574) 849-3414
If the phone # get's deleted PM me and I'll get it for you.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

What will you be pulling that big ass thing with? Not the tundra I hope.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
What will you be pulling that big ass thing with? Not the tundra I hope.
This thread isn't about the Tundra, but I have to respond. It will do fine. I towed a dump trailer just today for a drainage job that I am working on loaded with 7 yards of soil. Tundra was fine! I have put 30,000 miles of towing alone on my truck and it is fine.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thats a good deal!!..but get one with an extended tongue..and get the 5200K Axles!
2004 Chevy C4500 W/12' Monroe Dump DURAMAX/ALLISON 105,000 Miles
2008 Royal Cargo 8.5'x18' Trailer

SCAG & ECHO POWER EQUIPMENT

"While your Strokin and Cummin.. I'll be takin your girl to the Max"
Old 07-27-2009, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelyGuy View Post
This thread isn't about the Tundra, but I have to respond. It will do fine. I towed a dump trailer just today for a drainage job that I am working on loaded with 7 yards of soil. Tundra was fine! I have put 30,000 miles of towing alone on my truck and it is fine.
I'm just saying I would hate to pull that thing with a 1/2 ton truck all day long especially with a gasser. The Tundra will do it but you will be replacing things like pads and rotors fluids and such fast on your truck. Watch those tranny temps too! Is Indiana flat or lots of hilly roads? I don't know but if its flat you may be able to get away with that trailer. I'm just looking out for ya from past experience.

Just for your info 30k towing is not much there buddy.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ya the tundra's do ok but nothing compares to a diesel for towing a big load. I personally would go with an open trailer but thats me.
Lesco application equipment

Having employees that enjoy what they are doing and care about quality is what makes happy customers.