Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-19-2009, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Homeowner needing tips on edging along sidewalks

Tried searching the posts but can't find tips on using a walk-behind gas edger (Troy Bilt). My husband doesn't think we need to edge our lawn, but I do, so I spent like $300 on this thing and am having a hard time managing it. I think the wheels are self-propelled so it goes ahead too fast and I can't keep it straight. Sometimes the blade is grinding into the concrete and sounds horrible (don't even want to think about what I'm doing to the blade). Do any of you pros have some tips for me? The edging looks like a complete amateur did it (which of course I am). How do I keep it straight, know where the sidewalk ends and not run into the concrete? Thanks a bunch!
Old 07-19-2009, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, the best way I can tell you is to get the machine alligned on the concrete just where you want it. Put the blade against the concrete and get to walking. You need to have the blade run next to the concrete the whole time. It is best if you can hear the blade running along side of the concrete.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysLawnCare View Post
It is best if you can hear the blade running along side of the concrete.
Oh, so it's ok if I hear that grinding sound? I thought I was doing something wrong. Thanks for responding!
Old 07-19-2009, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You're gonna hear that grinding noise, that's OK.

I would recommend a stick edger rather than a walk behind edger. Much easier and less bulky to use.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

She already bought the walk behind edger. A stick edger isn't a option at this point.

The grinding noise is your reference that your at the concrete and your line is clean. If you stop hearing that, your floating into the lawn. Make sure the blade is low enough or deep enough to keep it against the concrete or it will want to float up and ride on top of the concrete.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Your edger is not self-propelled, The pulling sensation is the blade grabbing the turf,dirt & concrete this is normal, and you will get use to it. Also the grinding noise is normal, as are the sparks. You will go through blades, theirs no way around this, purchase you some extra blades to have, you can use the new blade to compare to the worn down blade to know when it is time to change the blade. A new blade will always produce a better edge.

It will take time to get a nice straight edge, speed will come with time. Their should be some blade reference line built into the blade guard to keep you going straight, also use the edge of the concrete to, so you should here some grinding & see sparks if your going straight, no sparks your in the dirt too much. If you can watch the blade thats were the edge will be generated, and thus is your reference for a straight edge. Do you have the ability to make angle's with the Edger model you have? If yes make sure it is at a 90 degree angle this will give you a straight edge. If you can make angle's save that for when you have mastered basic edging.

Also wear earplugs this will help you focus on running the edger, not your ears hurting.

Dang, I wish my wife would touch an edger your husband is lucky.

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerryPicker View Post
Tried searching the posts but can't find tips on using a walk-behind gas edger (Troy Bilt). My husband doesn't think we need to edge our lawn, but I do, so I spent like $300 on this thing and am having a hard time managing it. I think the wheels are self-propelled so it goes ahead too fast and I can't keep it straight. Sometimes the blade is grinding into the concrete and sounds horrible (don't even want to think about what I'm doing to the blade). Do any of you pros have some tips for me? The edging looks like a complete amateur did it (which of course I am). How do I keep it straight, know where the sidewalk ends and not run into the concrete? Thanks a bunch!
Old 07-20-2009, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone! You're the best!
Old 07-20-2009, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How deep are you running the blade? Adjust the height setting so the blade is just deep enough to not be above the top of the concrete, no deeper. 1/2 an inch is a good depth below the top of the concrete. Of course as the blade wears you will need to adjust it lower.

The first edging is a pain, and unless you really work at it, it will look a little hacked up. Once you establish an edge though you should be able to hit it every other mowing or so and maintain it. Yes, you want the blade rubbing the concrete!
Old 07-24-2009, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerryPicker View Post
Thanks everyone! You're the best!
Tell your hubby to put down the beer and help you.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 07-25-2009, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Since we hit on replacing blades, are the bolts right or left handed threads? I have a PE550 I can't get the blade loose on. I'm pretty good with tools too! I've even tried using pneumatic air wrench on it too, but I'm afraid to work at it too long as I'm unsure about the thread type.