Register free!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-20-2009, 12:04 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,867
Truck / Trailer Combo Licensing Requirements

I brought this topic up in another thread and I think it's better suited to have a thread of it's own.

In the hardscape business many of us find ourselves having use for somewhat large trucks and trailers. One aspect of such ownership is there seems to always be much confusion as to the proper licensing required for driving these units on public roads, streets, and highways.

Now, I'm not bringing this topic to light "one up" anyone. But because many of us do own such equipment, or many may be buying such equipment in the future - it's important to know the correct law as to which class of drivers license is required, as there was a time where I discovered the facts. I'm sharing my knowledge. I hope it helps many of you and hopefully it will save some from facing stiff fines and from having to call someone with the proper license to come drive the truck and trailer home.

In another thread I submitted a post that stated:


Check with you state's DOT laws about licensing requirements for trailers over 10,000#.

In MD and PA trailers factory rated, or registered (tagged), or weighing more than 10,000# - require a Class A Restricted license. The "restricted" means you do not have to have the air brake endorsement (unless you have air brakes). Most D.O.T. laws are the same state to state, this way someone isn't legally passing through one state and suddenly illegally passing through another state. Even if you're pulling the trailer with a mid size pick up truck.

A buddy of mine with a class B license just got nailed for pulling a 14,000# gooseneck with a pickup without a Class A.



,
__________________
"It's You vs. You"

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"


My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
  #2  
Old 07-20-2009, 12:05 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,867
To which this response was submitted:



Quote:
Originally Posted by Foz View Post
You can haul a trailer over 10,000# as long as your combined weight does NOT exceed 26,000#. What type of pickup was he using...gross weight??. Not actual weight, but the vehicle's max weight rating??
__________________
"It's You vs. You"

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"


My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
  #3  
Old 07-20-2009, 12:07 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,867
Like I said, check with you local DOT laws. FOZ'S response is exactly what I used to think. Again, Most DOT laws ARE the same state to state.

Here is how I found out about this law. I have a close family member that recently retired from the State of Pennsylvania, he worked at the MVA as a supervisor and also was a CDL examiner. One day I told him I wanted a heavier trailer. He said "if you get a heavier trailer you'll need a Class A restricted". I said "no way, you're wrong as long as I don't go over 26,000# I'm fine". He said "oh no you're not, you're a combination unit".

I didn't believe him so I called the MD MVA and spoke with someone that works in their commercial licensing dept. This person told me the DOT law and it was word from word as what my family member who worked for the MVA in PA told me.

But I didn't stop there! I hung up the phone and I called one of the scale houses and spoke with a sergeant. And again, he told me exactly the same thing that the supervisor at the MD MVA told me.

The law gets confusing when you add a trailer into the factor because you then become a “combination unit”. And the Class A license classification is for combined units.

Again, most states all have the same DOT laws. However, some states are very lax about enforcing certain laws and others are very aggressive.

Hopefully this topic will shed some light to a law that most do not even know exists and hopefully will save you of aggravation and fines. It's hard enough finding employees that will show up for work on time and sober, let alone finding a reliable worker that has the proper license to drive your trucks and trailers!

I encourage folks that may be affected by this to call your local MVA Office, Scale House, or pull up your state’s DOT Laws on the internet. This ain't a new law, been around for ages!
__________________
"It's You vs. You"

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"


My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 07-20-2009 at 12:12 PM.
  #4  
Old 07-20-2009, 11:53 PM
SimonCX's Avatar
SimonCX SimonCX is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: central nj
Posts: 729
Best bet is to call or visit a state police barrick because they are the ones who are going to enforce it and will give you all the dot info for your state. I called state police because motor vehicle didn't have a clue.
  #5  
Old 07-21-2009, 12:31 AM
Bru75's Avatar
Bru75 Bru75 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonCX View Post
Best bet is to call or visit a state police barrick because they are the ones who are going to enforce it and will give you all the dot info for your state. I called state police because motor vehicle didn't have a clue.
Good advice. I asked a question once about the combined weight I needed on my registration at the DMV and they said that it depends on how a particular officer interprets the law.
  #6  
Old 07-21-2009, 08:29 AM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bru75 View Post
Good advice. I asked a question once about the combined weight I needed on my registration at the DMV and they said that it depends on how a particular officer interprets the law.
That's kinda comical! From what I've seen, it's usualy spelled out quite clear and concise, that even a 7th grader can understand! (on another message board folks have posted excerpts from their state laws) I think they told you that because they didn't know the answer.
__________________
"It's You vs. You"

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"


My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
  #7  
Old 07-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Bru75's Avatar
Bru75 Bru75 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
That's kinda comical! From what I've seen, it's usualy spelled out quite clear and concise, that even a 7th grader can understand! (on another message board folks have posted excerpts from their state laws) I think they told you that because they didn't know the answer.
That's exactly why they told me that.
I needed to know if my truck had to be registered for the weight of the trailer and truck, or just the truck and tongue weight. She said "depends on which cop pulls you over", no kidding.
  #8  
Old 07-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
pull up your stateís DOT Laws on the internet.
I suggest you do this also.

Ask three cops the same question and you will get three different answers.

I know for a fact that you don't need a class A until the combo reaches 26k with a trailer over 10k in PA. It's most likely the same way in MD.

It is supposed to be the same way in all state except CA (they are always the odd duck LOL).
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
  #9  
Old 07-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
For PA

Quote:
CLASS A
A Class A license is issued to those persons 18 years of age or older who have demonstrated their
qualifications to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of
26,001 pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle or vehicles being
towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds. The holder of a Class A license is qualified to operate vehicles
for which a Class B or Class C license is issued. Where required, appropriate endorsements must
be obtained.
This exerpt from

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms.../section_1.pdf

It says the same thing for MD
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.

Last edited by Duffster; 07-21-2009 at 04:48 PM.
  #10  
Old 07-21-2009, 08:39 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,867
Duffster - Wat you posted is exactly what I stated in the opening posts to this thread!

Sit back, clear your mind from the day's stresses and read the excerpt that YOU posted

The law is written at a level where you nearly need a college degree to know what it says. To help you out, I put key words in bold, for ya


"A Class A license is issued to those persons 18 years of age or older who have demonstrated their qualifications to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.


KEYWORDS "OR" and "EXCESS"

That's aight 'ol buddy, the year is half way through and you been workin hard! Trust me Duffster, I'm not going to post something on the world wide web that I can't back up, or that would mis-lead others. I have better things to do with my time than to steer someone down the wrong road.


On Another Note:

One thing to be aware of: your typical patrol officer or state trooper will usually not have a clue about the D.O.T. laws. I have a buddy thats a Sergeant with the MD State Police. He couldn't tell you thing about DOT laws other than "if you get caught, you're screwed". The appropriate law enforcement officials to speak with are the ones that are specifically assigned to a Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Unit within the agency.


,
__________________
"It's You vs. You"

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"


My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 07-21-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:17 AM.

Page generated in 0.10975 seconds with 8 queries