Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Duffster - Wat you posted is exactly what I stated in the opening posts to this thread!

Sit back, clear your mind from the day's stresses and read the excerpt that YOU posted

The law is written at a level where you nearly need a college degree to know what it says. To help you out, I put key words in bold, for ya

"A Class A license is issued to those persons 18 years of age or older who have demonstrated their qualifications to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

KEYWORDS "OR" and "EXCESS"

That's aight 'ol buddy, the year is half way through and you been workin hard! Trust me Duffster, I'm not going to post something on the world wide web that I can't back up, or that would mis-lead others. I have better things to do with my time than to steer someone down the wrong road.

On Another Note:

One thing to be aware of: your typical patrol officer or state trooper will usually not have a clue about the D.O.T. laws. I have a buddy that's a Sergeant with the MD State Police. He couldn't tell you thing about DOT laws other than "if you get caught, you're screwed". The appropriate law enforcement officials to speak with are the ones that are specifically assigned to a Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Unit within the agency.

Nowhere in the excerpt that I posted does it say you need a CDL just because the trailer is over 10K.

You don't need a college degree, just basic English class.

The problem is that the Troopers can't read either if they are saying you need a CDL.

When you read that excerpt you missed the most important word in the paragraph. "provided"

"A Class A license is issued to those persons 18 years of age or older who have demonstrated their qualifications to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

LOL Duffster, lord, I hope you've been drinking all afternoon and evening, because if you haven't....then that's scarey.

You ARE correct, It DOES NOT state you need a CDL. It states to whom a Class A C.D.L. is issued.

Sometimes when my head is full of the day's activities I find it necessary to read outloud, SLOWLY, 1 to 3 times before I understand what I'm reading. You otta try doing that sometime.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 07-21-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
LOL Duffster, lord, I hope you've been drinking all afternoon and evening, because if you haven't....then that's scarey.

You ARE correct, It DOES NOT state you need a CDL. It states to whom a Class A C.D.L. is issued.

Sometimes when my head is full of the day's activities I find it necessary to read outloud, SLOWLY, 1 to 3 times before I understand what I'm reading. May I suggest you do the same?

I will do my best to keep my patients with you but I can't make any promises.

I have read it plenty of time to understand it. The wording for PA is the same as the wording from the Fed site, which is the same as the other 20 or 30 states sites that I looked up. I have not looked up MD's but you lumped it with PA and I had that handy so I used it. The wording is the same as my home state and all my neighboring states and I don't need a CDL for a trailer just because it is over 10k.

The only way you would need a CDL class A for a 14k trailer is if it was pulled by a 13k+ truck.

You can drive a 26k truck and pull a 10k trailer (for a total of 36k) with a standard class D license.

Quote:
Old 07-21-2009, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This makes it real simple.

I realize it says Maine but it is the same for all of us except CA

Quote:
Old 07-21-2009, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

duffster -

LOL - this is getting too funny! God, I hope you're just messin with me! Your map is proving my point, thank you for providing that exhibit for me!

The little map says this:

"Is the vehicle a combination vehicle towing a unit over 10,000 pounds GVWR OR gross weight?" Now look what the little arrow points to

Duffster - this is about the 4th time in 3 years that I have initiated this topic. Trust me, you're not the first. LOL, You been soo busy tryin to prove me wrong, you must have missed the part about my friend whom was recently cited! Again, thanks for the map!

I tell ya, what these forums need is a sobriety checker. In order to log in they otta make you type the squiggly letters in the box correctly.

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
Old 07-21-2009, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you are drunk.

You have to meet the requirements of the first box in the flow chart before you move on the the next one.

I will give you a hint, try following the arrow off the left side with the word "No" on top of it.

You have yet to post any info that backs up your position on this topic. The fact that your buddy got a ticket only proves that your cops are maroons.

Please prove your position.

Quote:

Last edited by Duffster; 07-21-2009 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-22-2009, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

DVS: you wouldn't follow the yes arrow down to the next box if you were using a small truck and 14k trailer; you would follow the no arrow which goes past the box right below the top one.

Cummins isn't spelled with a g!!!!!
Old 07-22-2009, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Double edge - you are correct, partially. The 2nd box asks is the vehicle or combination vehicle is towing anying over 10,000 pounds!

There are multiple scenerios. (manufacturer rating, tagged weight, gross weight) The map is limited. Also, lets not forget that you need to check with your state's laws. I've stated that, what 5 times now? Could very well be that Maine doesn't enforce the trailer law that other states do infact enforce. Maine is also the state where you do not have to renew your trailer tages annually, I have a buddy in MD that just Maine tagged a used trailer and didn't have to have it inspected!!

Duffster supplied the PA law. I easily proved HIM to be reading it wrong. So instead of him saying "hey, devious you're right, you did state check your state's laws - he then goes to another state and tried to find some vague information regarding medium duty trucks! LOL

No where on the map does it address if a TRAILER is OVER 10,000 pounds!!!

The Federal Government provides funding to states that participates in enforcing the Fed DOT laws. Another example - If the state decides to do roadside inspections over the weekend (or other days for the matter) - the Fed Gov't pays the state to do that. It's up to each state to participate / enforce as they desire.

Look guys, we can go in circles all we want. #1, as stated in the opening post (you did read the opening post, correct?) I have a family member that retired from MVA from a management position. Usually after one works somewhere for over 20 years - they know their job. And remember, someone recently was cited for such a violation! In order for the police to write a ticket - there has to be a small box for them to check off stating the specific violation, I don't think there would be a non-existant violation printed on the ticket!!!

If you own large trailers - then make some local phone calls. Get your answers. Get out and sell work. And feed your family and keep them happy. If you don't like the law - then become a law maker and change it! It is what it is!

If you don't own large trailers - then go about life and be happy!

I've brought the issue to light. It does truely exist and hopefully it will save others of aggrevation and head ache. I'm a business man, not a law maker. Everyone is now aware of the potential they may face. Next step is to find out on your own. There ain't anything more that I can say

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-1 belt

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 07-22-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

this is florida cdl law

What do the terms Class A, Class B, and Class C mean on my Florida CDL?
It refers to the type of vehicle that you may operate . . .
CLASS A . . . allows you to operate vehicles which tow trailers or other vehicles with a GVWR over 10,000 pounds. A Class "A" license also allows you to operate Class B and C vehicles.
CLASS B . . . allows you to operate single vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 lbs or more OR a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more, towing trailers/vehicles rated at 10,000 pounds GVWR or less. A Class "B" license also allows you to operate Class C vehicles.
CLASS C . . .allows you to operate vehicles under 26,001 lbs. GVWR, that would normally not require a CDL; except when they are designed to transport 16 or more persons including the driver; or that carry 15 or less people (including the driver) transporting children to or from school and home regularly for compensation, or carry hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding. Applicable endorsements are required.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Double edge - you are correct, partially. The 2nd box asks is the vehicle or combination vehicle is towing anying over 10,000 pounds!
What double edge. How do you honestly except anyone to take you serious when you can't even navigate a simple flow chart.

Quote:
There are multiple scenerios. (manufacturer rating, tagged weight, gross weight) The map is limited.
Trailer over 10k is trailer over 10k, pretty easy. How is the map limited?

Quote:
Also, lets not forget that you need to check with your state's laws. I've stated that, what 5 times now? Could very well be that Maine doesn't enforce the trailer law that other states do infact enforce.
States law regarding CDL requirements are the same as the FED's requirements.

Quote:
Maine is also the state where you do not have to renew your trailer tags annually, I have a buddy in MD that just Maine tagged a used trailer and didn't have to have it inspected!!
We don't have to have trailers inspected either but that has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you need a CDL.

Quote:
Duffster supplied the PA law. I easily proved HIM to be reading it wrong.
You haven't proved nothing. I proved you to be reading it wrong, Man up and admit it.

Quote:
So instead of him saying "hey, devious you're right, you did state check your state's laws - he then goes to another state and tried to find some vague information regarding medium duty trucks!
Mediumd Duty??????????? I have never mentioned such.

Quote:
No where on the map does it address if a TRAILER is OVER 10,000 pounds!!!
Try the second box.....The one you tryed to claim proved your point.

Quote:
The Federal Government provides funding to states that participates in enforcing the Fed DOT laws. Another example - If the state decides to do roadside inspections over the weekend (or other days for the matter) - the Fed Gov't pays the state to do that. It's up to each state to participate / enforce as they desire.
Not exactly, the states have to issue CDL's to the standard that the FEDs set, as you stated so that the requirements don't change from state to state.

Like I previously stated PA requirements are the same as my home state and every other state that I have checked. (Except CA )

Quote:
Look guys, we can go in circles all we want. #1, as stated in the opening post (you did read the opening post, correct?) I have a family member that retired from MVA from a management position. Usually after one works somewhere for over 20 years - they know their job. And remember, someone recently was cited for such a violation! In order for the police to write a ticket - there has to be a small box for them to check off stating the specific violation, I don't think there would be a non-existant violation printed on the ticket!!!
Cops are humans and make mistakes everyday. Just because he got a ticket doesn't prove anything.

There is a case on one of these forums where a guy (from my home state)got a ticket for driving his skidloader on the street. He got a non registration ticket. Within 5 minutes someone posted the law in writing proving that he didn't need the skidloader to be registered. He took it to court and won

Quote:
If you own large trailers - then make some local phone calls. Get your answers. Get out and sell work. And feed your family and keep them happy. If you don't like the law - then become a law maker and change it! It is what it is!

If you don't own large trailers - then go about life and be happy!

I've brought the issue to light. It does truely exist and hopefully it will save others of aggrevation and head ache. I'm a business man, not a law maker. Everyone is now aware of the potential they may face. Next step is to find out on your own. There ain't anything more that I can say
I guess asking you to prove your position is just to much for you.

Quote:
Closed Thread