Register free!


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #21  
Old 07-22-2009, 09:36 AM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
this is florida cdl law

What do the terms Class A, Class B, and Class C mean on my Florida CDL?
It refers to the type of vehicle that you may operate . . .
CLASS A . . . allows you to operate vehicles which tow trailers or other vehicles with a GVWR over 10,000 pounds. A Class "A" license also allows you to operate Class B and C vehicles.
CLASS B . . . allows you to operate single vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 lbs or more OR a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more, towing trailers/vehicles rated at 10,000 pounds GVWR or less. A Class "B" license also allows you to operate Class C vehicles.
CLASS C . . .allows you to operate vehicles under 26,001 lbs. GVWR, that would normally not require a CDL; except when they are designed to transport 16 or more persons including the driver; or that carry 15 or less people (including the driver) transporting children to or from school and home regularly for compensation, or carry hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding. Applicable endorsements are required.
This was posted from the Florida Handbook in a previous thread here on LS, it has the same chart I posted.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...9&postcount=19
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
  #22  
Old 07-22-2009, 09:39 AM
fl-landscapes's Avatar
fl-landscapes fl-landscapes is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,397
everything on this thread has been posted on this site before.....whats your point. I was just backing up your statement. Guess I should have just advised you that this has been covered more than once on this site as well
  #23  
Old 07-22-2009, 09:47 AM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
everything on this thread has been posted on this site before.....whats your point. I was just backing up your statement. Guess I should have just advised you that this has been covered more than once on this site as well
Sorry, the way that your class A definition is worded I thought you were backing up DVS.

I realize this has been covered before but obviously a least one person still don't get it and that person is giving bad advice.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
  #24  
Old 07-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Mid-Ohio Scaper's Avatar
Mid-Ohio Scaper Mid-Ohio Scaper is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 135
Who Needs a CDL? – Ohio Revised Code, Section 4506.01 (D)

You need a CDL if you operate any of the following vehicles:

1.

Any combination of vehicles with a combined gross vehicle weight rating of twenty-six thousand one pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of ten thousand pounds;
2.

Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of twenty-six thousand one pounds or more, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating that is not in excess of ten thousand pounds;
3.

Any single vehicle or combination of vehicles that is not a class A or class B vehicle, but that either is designed to transport sixteen or more passengers including the driver;
4.

Any school bus with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than twenty-six thousand one pounds that is designed to transport fewer than sixteen passengers including the driver;
5.

Is transporting hazardous materials for which placarding is required under subpart F of 49 C.F.R. part 172;
6.

Any single vehicle or combination of vehicles that is designed to be operated and to travel on a public street or highway and is considered by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to be a commercial motor vehicle, including, but not limited to, a motorized crane, a vehicle whose function is to pump cement, a rig for drilling wells, and a portable crane.

Classes of CDL licenses – Ohio Revised Code, Section 4506.12 (B)

The classes of CDL and the commercial motor vehicles that they authorize the operation of are as follows:

1.

Class A – any combination of vehicles with a combined gross vehicle weight rating of twenty-six thousand one pounds or more, if the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of ten thousand pounds.
2.

Class B – any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of twenty-six thousand one pounds or more or any such vehicle towing a vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating that is not in excess of ten thousand pounds.
3.

Class C – any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that is not a Class A or Class B vehicle, but that is designed to transport sixteen or more passengers, including the driver, or is transporting hazardous materials in an amount requiring placarding, or any school bus with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than twenty-six thousand one pounds that is designed to transport fewer than sixteen passengers including the driver.


So let me get this straight, I drive a F350 with a GVWR of 13,000lbs and have a goose neck dump trailer with a GVWR of 14,000lbs equaling 27,000lbs (combo weight).
If I'm understanding these laws correctly, when I join these two together I do in fact need a class A because I've exceeded the 26,001lb mark?

Last edited by Mid-Ohio Scaper; 07-22-2009 at 12:02 PM.
  #25  
Old 07-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid-Ohio Scaper View Post


So let me get this straight, I drive a F350 with a GVWR of 13,000lbs and have a goose neck dump trailer with a GVWR of 14,000lbs equaling 27,000lbs (combo weight).
If I'm understanding these laws correctly, when I join these two together I do in fact need a class A because I've exceeded the 26,001lb mark?
Correct

Because the combo is over 26k, not because the trailer is over 10k like the OP stated.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
  #26  
Old 07-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Mid-Ohio Scaper's Avatar
Mid-Ohio Scaper Mid-Ohio Scaper is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
Correct

Because the combo is over 26k, not because the trailer is over 10k like the OP stated.
That's what I've always been told............
  #27  
Old 07-22-2009, 05:11 PM
wurkn with amish's Avatar
wurkn with amish wurkn with amish is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: in the bathroom
Posts: 663
I don't see why you even need to argue about it. If you don't believe DEVIOUS then don't believe him. If and when you get pulled over and they ticket for the very thing your aguing about, then get your CDL (class A) whatever.....
Im personally going to make a few phone calls tomorrow and see what I need- because I want to upgrade trailors.
  #28  
Old 07-22-2009, 05:28 PM
burnthecouch burnthecouch is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: zone 6-7
Posts: 19
We had one of our trucks get pulled over a few years ago while I was still working for another company, and they were ticketed for having a trailer over the 10,001 limit. The trailer had dual 6,000lb axle and was rated for 12,000, while not in excess of that 12,000 limit, it was over the limit for having a non CDL driver.

So it can and will happen in PA. It doesn't matter what you are pulling it with if the trailer goes over the magic limit of 10,001 you need a CDL period.

I currently have my 14,000 dump trailer de-rated and registered at 9,999 which kills me for usable payload but keeps me legal as I haven't had a chance to get my CDL yet being a one man show right now.
  #29  
Old 07-22-2009, 05:41 PM
fl-landscapes's Avatar
fl-landscapes fl-landscapes is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid-Ohio Scaper View Post
That's what I've always been told............

This thread is being beat to death but the trailer weight can not exceed 10,000 lbs or you need a class "A" lis. I have a class B cdl so I can drive a straight truck regardless of what it weighs. now if I hook a trailer to it I am good as long as the trailer does not exceed 10,000 lbs. The combo weight can be anything. Lets say I'm driving a tri axle mack with gvw 68,000 lbs and I tow a small trailer under 10K then I am fine. If the trailer weight is 10,001 or more I am screwed without a class A lis.
  #30  
Old 07-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthecouch View Post
We had one of our trucks get pulled over a few years ago while I was still working for another company, and they were ticketed for having a trailer over the 10,001 limit. The trailer had dual 6,000lb axle and was rated for 12,000, while not in excess of that 12,000 limit, it was over the limit for having a non CDL driver.
What where you pulling the trailer with? (GVWR)
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:54 PM.

Page generated in 0.11043 seconds with 8 queries