Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 07-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurkn with amish View Post
I don't see why you even need to argue about it.
Why tell people you they need a CDL if they don't need it?
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
  #32  
Old 07-22-2009, 04:58 PM
burnthecouch burnthecouch is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: zone 6-7
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
What where you pulling the trailer with? (GVWR)
Knew I should have added that part for you since you seem to no believe anyone else in this thread. It was a 2005 F250 nothing that would even get you close to the other magic number of 26,001 legally.
  #33  
Old 07-22-2009, 05:04 PM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthecouch View Post
Knew I should have added that part for you since you seem to no believe anyone else in this thread. It was a 2005 F250 nothing that would even get you close to the other magic number of 26,001 legally.
No need to get wise about it.

The OP can't prove his position and I doubt you can either.

I doubt that was the first cop to misinterpret the law and probably won't be the last.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
  #34  
Old 07-22-2009, 05:12 PM
burnthecouch burnthecouch is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: zone 6-7
Posts: 19
Maybe out in the Midwest the cops don't understand the laws but these were DOT cops brought out by local regional cops to verify the load being over the legal letter of the law. We were also told the same thing about the limits after that incident when we had our DOT audit of the entire fleet of trucks and trailers to make out DOT numbers compliant with the federal law.

The only way I've heard of people getting away with it is to register the trucks and trailers as a combination thus taking legal payload capacity off the tow vehicle and allowing for the trailer to carry more. And that still wouldn't protect you if the right person decided to pull you over at the wrong time.

I've seen them stop multiple people leaving supply yards this year for similar reasons and in many cases trailers were left sitting along the side of the road till someone could come back to legally tow it home. Also for a fact you cannot register a trailer in this state over the 10,001 limit without proof of a cdl license or a licensed cdl driver in your company hence the reason for my dump trailer being registered at 9,999lbs.
  #35  
Old 07-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthecouch View Post
Maybe out in the Midwest the cops don't understand the laws but these were DOT cops brought out by local regional cops to verify the load being over the legal letter of the law. We were also told the same thing about the limits after that incident when we had our DOT audit of the entire fleet of trucks and trailers to make out DOT numbers compliant with the federal law.

The only way I've heard of people getting away with it is to register the trucks and trailers as a combination thus taking legal payload capacity off the tow vehicle and allowing for the trailer to carry more. And that still wouldn't protect you if the right person decided to pull you over at the wrong time.

I've seen them stop multiple people leaving supply yards this year for similar reasons and in many cases trailers were left sitting along the side of the road till someone could come back to legally tow it home. Also for a fact you cannot register a trailer in this state over the 10,001 limit without proof of a cdl license or a licensed cdl driver in your company hence the reason for my dump trailer being registered at 9,999lbs.
Burnthecouch,

I like your username LOL

I appreciate that fact you may have been told you need a CDL and I beleive you when you say that Law Enforcement told you that. That said that doesn't mean that said LE was right. They may even know that they are wrong but continue to generate income this way knowing that there is enough people like yourself that will just take it as gospel.

I know people from PA through forums like this and in person that is why I know the law is the same as here.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
  #36  
Old 07-22-2009, 07:11 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,553
Duffster - man you've spent alotta time arguing with folks here.

How can you argue with

a) that a well educated person, whom work in management for 20 years at MVA stated the law?

b) that a friend of mine recently was cited?

How can YOU sit there and say no such law exists? LOL

HOW????

Sure you may know people from here and there, I think we all do. Many folks will *speculate* that no such law exists because they NEVER inquired. But if they would call and speak with the appropriate individuals they could find out otherwise. My buddy that got nailed drove through the same scale house every day for the last 5 years, and never had an issue. If I would have told him about this law - he would have told me I'm full of crap. Then one day they flagged him to come inside.

Do you think people don't contect tickets in court? Do you think a law enforcement official would continue to write tickets that a judge would say were not legit?? Then everytime the officer had his court days for his tickets - the judge would always remeber him as the idiot that wrote tickets for laws that were non-existant! The judge would make a mockery of the officer!! No officer would let that happen.


Duffster - trust me - such laws do in fact exist. If your state doesn't have such laws - then what do you care?

You can ncontinue to argue with the moon till you're blue in the face! I seldom call people names on forums - but I must say you truely are one bonified idiot , Duffster.
__________________
"It's You vs. You"

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"


My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 07-22-2009 at 07:16 PM.
  #37  
Old 07-22-2009, 07:20 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthecouch View Post
....
I currently have my 14,000 dump trailer de-rated and registered at 9,999 which kills me for usable payload but keeps me legal as I haven't had a chance to get my CDL yet being a one man show right now.

Just be careful with that. The DOT enforcement officials will go off of any of the following:

a) the weight plate that the factory put on the trailer.
b) what you registered it at assuming you registered it correctly (which you didn't)
c) the actual physical weight

Pennsylvania is another state that is a huge participant in the federal govt's funding for random, roadside inspections.


,
__________________
"It's You vs. You"

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"


My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
  #38  
Old 07-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post

Duffster - trust me - such laws do in fact exist. If your state doesn't have such laws - then what do you care?

You can ncontinue to argue with the moon till you're blue in the face! I seldom call people names on forums - but I must say you truely are one bonified idiot , Duffster.
You claim to be able to back up your claims, but can't or won't.

You can't read plain english or follow a very simple flow chart.

You can't prove your point so you resort to name calling.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
  #39  
Old 07-22-2009, 08:52 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,553
LOL

Quick, get Duffster his blood pressure pills! Poor soul has lost sleep over this law!

Can you imagine what his siginficant other must put up with?


,
__________________
"It's You vs. You"

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"


My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
  #40  
Old 07-22-2009, 08:58 PM
doubleedge's Avatar
doubleedge doubleedge is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ND
Posts: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Double edge - you are correct, partially. The 2nd box asks is the vehicle or combination vehicle is towing anying over 10,000 pounds!
You would never get to the second box if you followed the yes arrow, so why mention it? According to the chart, I am 100% correct. Like Andrew Wilkow (a radio talk show host) says: I am right, you are wrong, end of story.

PS: I am not saying that the law is the same in every state; I am saying that you are misreading that chart.
__________________


Cummins isn't spelled with a g!!!!!
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:43 PM.

Page generated in 0.10016 seconds with 8 queries