Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know about other states, but the MD Dept of Transportation has a very informative website. Folks in other states should try to find if your state has a site set up like this. http://www.e-mdot.com/MMCP/FAQ.html#Q1

Last week, I went straight to our annoted codes. The codes are rather concise and clear. Calling or e-mailing a question to the MVA may steer you in the wrong direction because a) you don't know know if the respondent has 1st hand knowledge from the dept of which it pertains. 2) if there is more than 1 scenerio you don't know if the person responding is fully digesting the scene. In terms of finding the official laws (not charts or maps) I suggest you find your states annoted codes.

In MD Dept of Trans's web site it says this:

2. Where can I get information on the commercial motor vehicle laws and regulations?

Hardcopies of the Annotated Code of Maryland (Maryland Law) and Code of Maryland Administrative Regulations (COMAR) can be ordered from the Division of State Documents at 410-974-2486 or 1-800-633-9657, or www.dsd.state.md.us. The publications are also available from each county's law library.
The regulations can be access online:
The Annotated Code of Maryland (Maryland Law). In ENTER ARTICLE box, select TRANSPORTATION then click on SUBMIT QUERY. Next in ENTER SECTION box, select Title and Section from pull down menu, then click on SUBMIT QUERY.
The Code of Maryland Administrative Regulations (COMAR). Click on button number 2, then select Title 11 Department of Transportation.

Hardcopies of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations can be purchased from retail vendors, or accessed online at www.fmcsa.dot.gov.

Again, the answer is in the annoted codes. Check your state's codes.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 07-31-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I spoke to NJMVC, NJSP and even the DOT officer who does road side checks I was told I can pull my 12,000lbs trailer all day long with my 3/4ton pick up with no cdl. BUT the moment I hook that trailer up to any truck with a gvw over 14,000lbs I need a class A.

IF the people enforcing the laws tell me its okay, I guess I have no choice but to beleive them.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Duffster -

If I wanted to search the net and find an article that states burning brush is more environmentaly friendly than grinding brush - I'll surley find such an article.,
Are you A.D.D.? What does that have to do with the topic at hand?

Quote:
in most states a *Class A* IS required when you hook up to a trailer over 10,000#
It won't matter how many times you say it, it still won't be true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I don't know about other states, but the MD Dept of Transportation has a very informative website. Folks in other states should try to find if your state has a site set up like this. http://www.e-mdot.com/MMCP/FAQ.html#Q1

Last week, I went straight to our annoted codes. The codes are rather concise and clear. Calling or e-mailing a question to the MVA may steer you in the wrong direction because a) you don't know know if the respondent has 1st hand knowledge from the dept of which it pertains. 2) if there is more than 1 scenerio you don't know if the person responding is fully digesting the scene. In terms of finding the official laws (not charts or maps) I suggest you find your states annoted codes.

In MD Dept of Trans's web site it says this:

2. Where can I get information on the commercial motor vehicle laws and regulations?

Hardcopies of the Annotated Code of Maryland (Maryland Law) and Code of Maryland Administrative Regulations (COMAR) can be ordered from the Division of State Documents at 410-974-2486 or 1-800-633-9657, or www.dsd.state.md.us. The publications are also available from each county's law library.
The regulations can be access online:
The Annotated Code of Maryland (Maryland Law). In ENTER ARTICLE box, select TRANSPORTATION then click on SUBMIT QUERY. Next in ENTER SECTION box, select Title and Section from pull down menu, then click on SUBMIT QUERY.
The Code of Maryland Administrative Regulations (COMAR). Click on button number 2, then select Title 11 Department of Transportation.

Hardcopies of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations can be purchased from retail vendors, or accessed online at www.fmcsa.dot.gov.

Again, the answer is in the annoted codes. Check your state's codes.

Didn't I already copy and paste the info from these links that says the same thing as what the flow chart shows?

Since you are
Quote:
110% confident of what I'm writing about.
Why don't you enlighten us with the statute number that proves your position or disproves mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm throwing my hat in the ring...

here is direct from NJMVC website. Found it through simple search on google..."do I require a commercial drivers license in the state of new jersey?"

I have copied and pasted the website (trying to atleast):

Commercial driver license (CDL)
RELATED LINKSCDL Manual If you want to be a truck driver or a bus driver, you will need to get a Commercial Driver License (CDL). But first, you must get a Basic New Jersey Driver License.

There are different CDL classes depending on the commercial vehicle that you will be driving*. Each CDL class has its own regulations.

Class A includes
Tractor trailers
Any truck and trailer combination with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds – provided that the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is more than 10,000 pounds
Any vehicle in B, C or D categories, if you have qualified for the proper extra endorsements

Class B includes
Any vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds
A vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds towing a trailer with a GVWR of less than 10,000 pounds
A bus with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds designed to transport 16 or more passengers (including driver)
Vehicles in Class C and D categories – provided you have qualified for the proper extra endorsements

Class C includes
Any vehicle with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds used to transport hazardous material (with mandatory placard)
Any bus designed to carry 16 or more passengers (including the driver) and with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds
School vehicles designed for 15 passengers or less (including the driver)
Any bus or vehicle used for hire and designed to transport eight to 15 passengers (including the driver)

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Commercia...cialDriver.htm
Old 08-02-2009, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

i have two pickups rated around 9200# and then a dump trailer rated (Well registered) at 12k#. According to the website I'm safe. I don't meet any of the criteria for having to obtain a CDL.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB1234 View Post
i have two pickups rated around 9200# and then a dump trailer rated (Well registered) at 12k#. According to the website I'm safe. I don't meet any of the criteria for having to obtain a CDL.

ding ding ding we have a winner.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This goes with what I've always been told about the NJ law. Trailer over 10K go combined weight where under dont combine. IE: Class 5 truck pulling under 10K is OK. Class 5 pulling 12K is CDL. However, dont forget that if you are over 10K in any combination you still need a DOT # and drivers need a medical card.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post

Why don't you enlighten us with the statute number that proves your position or disproves mine.

Duffster, you're quite a riot!

I'm not going to hold your hand, but approximately a week ago I posted either the link to the statute, or I pasted the statue in one of my posts in this thread (I don't remember which I did). If you're interested in seeing the statue, then I suggest you find my post that contains it.

You've literally devoted a vast amount of time telling me I am wrong. I know of a handfull of people that have been cited for the violation aforementioned in the opening post. Some of them appeared in court, in which the violations were found to be true.

A few participants in this forum have chimed in and said "I have been cited for this violation, such a violation does exist", and you're still are hellbent on making a point to say that no such violation exists! LOL

If in some states no such law exists, so be it!

If folks have been wrongfully ticketed, so be it!

If in some states the law does exist, so be it!

If someone is cited for such a violation and they're infact wrongfully cited, hopefully now that they've seen this topic, they'll be able to appear in court and say to the judge "hey, not so fast your honor, the officer is mis-interpreting the law".

I have a buddy whom a few years ago ticketed a guy for trespassing (partying on private property). My buddy ran into the guy's attorney at Walmart one evening. The attorney said "hey, I'm representing John Doe for a trespassing ticket you gave him, I looked up the statute and it says the land owner must 1st issue a no trespassing letter before someone can be charged with trespassing, do you mind if I bring this to the judge's attention?" My buddy replied "if thats how it is, then I have no problem with that". Same scenerio could go for the topic at hand if that's the case.

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 08-02-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
However, dont forget that if you are over 10K in any combination you still need a DOT # and drivers need a medical card.

I don't know bout NJ, but you may wanna check on that.

I know in other states it doesn't matter if it's a "combination" unit or not. You need a DOT # and DOT physical if you're operating a commercial vehicle. A commercial vehicle is then defined as any vehicle with a GVW at 10,000# or more.

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-1 belt
Closed Thread