Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-20-2009, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Homeowner seeking mower advice for ~1 acre

Hi,

I'm looking to satisfy 2 goals with a new mower:

1) replace 22" WB and significantly reduce 1.25 hr. cut time.

2) unit should have relatively high demand/resale value within the next 5 years.

If satisfying the resale goal requires me to buy a commercial machine, I'm willing to do that. If I can resell going forward, then I can look at this as a pseudo lease during my ownership.

In my area, Exmark, Scag, Bobcat and Ferris (in ~that order) are the popular commercial mowers.

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How big of a mower are you comfortable using on your yard? Any fences? What is your price range? Do you care about sitting down or standing up? Also, what does your yard's terrain consist of? I can help better with those answered...
Old 07-20-2009, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

something with a 60" deck and atleast a 27hp engine. you'll have no problem selling it in five years especially if you have under 200 hrs on it.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogreenworks View Post
How big of a mower are you comfortable using on your yard? Any fences? What is your price range? Do you care about sitting down or standing up? Also, what does your yard's terrain consist of? I can help better with those answered...
-Mower size doesn't matter
-no fences
-up to ~4K price
-sitting would be fine, (but it's my understanding you get a better cut with a WB)
-yard is essentially flat with a minor grade and several planting areas to cut around

and I forgot to mention that a priority is excellent bagging capability.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb View Post
-Mower size doesn't matter
-no fences
-up to ~4K price
-sitting would be fine, (but it's my understanding you get a better cut with a WB)
-yard is essentially flat with a minor grade and several planting areas to cut around

and I forgot to mention that a priority is excellent bagging capability.
Very good. If it was my decision, I would go look at 60" zero turn riders. All the companies you mentioned make them and they all have a variety of options. Now, the 60" mower is obviously going to decrease your time however it will most likely be more expensive. You would still decrease your time dramatically with even a 48" mower. As far as the cuts go, I think a nice commercial zero turn is going to give you a nice cut and also be easier for you to use than a walk behind. My best advice would be to go find the nicest mower you can for your price range and keep it nice. You will have no problem reselling it! Hope this helped!
Old 07-20-2009, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

First are you running behind your 22" because if you can mow an acre in an hour and a quarter than you are already light years ahead of most people.

OK you want a mower with resale. You want commercial and here's why. The market for used commercial is much larger than the market for a homeowner grade tractor or WB garbage. In 5 years you can probably get 1/2 or a little more for the mower if you take care of it. Your mower would sell faster in 5 years because you might have 100 hours on it and a commercially used mower might have 1000-2500 hours.

Mowers are like cars, the second it leaves the lot you are already down 20% or more. Exmarks tend to depreciate slowly and scags a little faster. This is because scags generally are higher priced retail. IMO Bobcats dont cut as good, but tend to be lower priced. Ferris look nice but no one around here uses them.

For 1 acre a 60" ZTR is overkill. It would be different if you are trying to mow 20 in a day, but you will never see a return on the extras size. A 48-52" WB would generally be best IMO. If you want a little luxury spend the cash on a hydro WB.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Look for thread "mower under $4000". All listed there seem to be a good value and should meet the expectations you listed.

Your bagging requirements will cost you more for the bagger.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=279280

They were selling 52" hydros for 3999, meets all your requirements.

Come over from the dark side, discharge is better for the lawn and soil.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley24 View Post
something with a 60" deck and atleast a 27hp engine. you'll have no problem selling it in five years especially if you have under 200 hrs on it.
Complete and total overkill. I'm running a little more acerage than than with a 48" with a 18hp V-twin. 60" would be a little hard to find room for and there is a wider market appeal with a 48 - 52" unit.

Now - please consider something else. Check out your local dealer's selection of good used commercial units. Preferably one that has been used by someone like yourself, a homeowner. My unit was a homeowner's unit. It had 425 hours on it and cost $2000, verses the first owner's price of around $6500 in 2002. Frankley, it may last me 10+ years and still be worth a couple hundred after I put 1000+ hours on it. Costs MUCH less to buy a used unit, your depreciation curve is much flatter, and if it's been well cared for, you should have little to no trouble with it.

I won't tell you what brand to go with - others will cover that more than adequately. Good luck...
200? Husquvarnia straight shaft trim
Old 07-20-2009, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe a Scag WB 48" with fixed deck and sulky and belt drive would be under $4K. I know their belt drives are good enough to pull sulky and since this wide open no need for hydro which would be outside your range.