Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-20-2009, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

25 Gal FIMCO Sprayer Problems

Set up my 25 gallon FIMCO sprayer (w/boom) fee weeks back and had it working well. Used it a few times with no problems. Only have been spraying 3-way and acclaim with it. Have used surfactant/s and/or dyes in some of the apps. However, tonight I'm spraying a property and about 10 minutes into it I notice my pressure dropped from 30 psi down to 20. Tried adjusting the bypass valve to get the pressure back up to 30 and it just wouldn't go...she dropped back down to ten. Couldn't get her above 15-20. First thing I checked was the strainers on the tips...no problems there. Nothing in the tank that I can see plugging the intank...The spray wand works fine...the boom not so much.

Is there some type of internal strainer/filter/etc. located in the pump itself? Do you think the line could be plugged...not sure how in the world that could happend but...i just don't know. Obviously not very experienced with this and looking for places to start looking.

thanks for any help/advice.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

pump might be shot
Old 07-20-2009, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I thought that but I can't imagine it blowing after less than 200 gallons sprayed.

I did find the parts breakout and noticed there is a strainer after the tanks inlet on/off valve. Gonna try and pull that apart tomorrow night.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like a clogged inline strainer. But the hand wand wouldn't work either if that was the case. Kinked hose?
Old 07-21-2009, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Clogged strainer is likely. You are on the right track. Drive has a problem in that it settles out, does not resuspend easily. Try to never leave it in the tank for more than a few hours. What is output in gallons per minute? Check this at the gun.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Try running 2 gal. of hot water through it.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for all the responses...appreciate it.

Found the strainer. Found a leaf in the line along with some smaller debris stuck on the screen. The hose (flexible tubing) was also slightly kinked. Not sure how the leaf got in there or how the hose became kinked. Will hook up tomorrow afternoon and attempt to spray some water to see if that was it.

FYI...at 30 PSI and about 2-2.3 mph I can only get 0.667 gallons per 1,000. Tried increasing to 40 psi but the drift is insane. I also rinse imediately (within the hour) after spraying. I have had excellent results so far with the 3-way at 1.1 ounces per 1,000 and no surfactant. So far results have been zilch with Acclaim at .46 oz per k. I just made a second application of acclaim and added a surfactant this time. That was Sunday afternoon. So far no results but says 4-10 days to take affect. we will see.

Anyone know if I can swap out the 2.1 GPM pump for the 3.8 they have available...in other words same bolt pattern/inlet/outlet etc. That way I can get to about gal per k app rate????
Old 07-21-2009, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB1234 View Post
Thanks for all the responses...appreciate it.

Found the strainer. Found a leaf in the line along with some smaller debris stuck on the screen. The hose (flexible tubing) was also slightly kinked. Not sure how the leaf got in there or how the hose became kinked. Will hook up tomorrow afternoon and attempt to spray some water to see if that was it.

FYI...at 30 PSI and about 2-2.3 mph I can only get 0.667 gallons per 1,000. Tried increasing to 40 psi but the drift is insane. I also rinse imediately (within the hour) after spraying. I have had excellent results so far with the 3-way at 1.1 ounces per 1,000 and no surfactant. So far results have been zilch with Acclaim at .46 oz per k. I just made a second application of acclaim and added a surfactant this time. That was Sunday afternoon. So far no results but says 4-10 days to take affect. we will see.

Anyone know if I can swap out the 2.1 GPM pump for the 3.8 they have available...in other words same bolt pattern/inlet/outlet etc. That way I can get to about gal per k app rate????
I have a new 3.8GPM Shurflo pump that I can sell you. It has the same bolt patters as the 2.1GPM pump. You might get better results slowing down at half of the speed and put more product on weeds. It takes a little longer but great results. Also you can change out your nozzles to give you more product which lowers the pressure a little. If interested in the pump, just PM me. I've built several booms and have several spare parts.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmaroad View Post
I have a new 3.8GPM Shurflo pump that I can sell you. It has the same bolt patters as the 2.1GPM pump. You might get better results slowing down at half of the speed and put more product on weeds. It takes a little longer but great results. Also you can change out your nozzles to give you more product which lowers the pressure a little. If interested in the pump, just PM me. I've built several booms and have several spare parts.
I know...the problem is my speedometer I installed (bike speedometer) only goes as low as 2mph. Once it drops below two it just read zero. I tried welding some "set screws" the the handles of my Z but there are so many slopes were I spray it doesn't work that well.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Two thirds gallon per thousand should work fine for most weed control work. No need for excess water to carry the chemical.

Drive is a better crabgrass control. Use MSO or surfactant. Rate is about a third to a half dry ounce per thousand. Or do it the easy way and just say one ounce per 2000 sqft. (About 2 tablespoons. )

Last edited by RigglePLC; 07-21-2009 at 08:38 PM. Reason: addition.