Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-14-2002, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wheelhorse/Toro help!!!

I had the good fortune to trashpick a little 25" Toro Wheelhorse sit down rider/tractor. It's got a 8 hp Briggs on it. Here's what I need help with - the battery for the electric start was missing. When I went to hook up the new battery, I could only find one red battery terminal cable. There's no other cable (ie. black/ground to be found and no signs indicate it's missing - like it never exisited). I followed the red terminal cable back and it junctions into what looks like some type of switch (maybe). A white cable exits the other side of the switch and goes to the starter motor. It appears to be the only lead into the starter.
My question is, how does the battery hook up to this model. If any one can tell me I'd be very appreciative. I tried just hooking up the red lead to the pos. battery terminal - however, that didn't seem to work. It seems that something needs to be hooked up to the neg. terminal too.

Someone help me please. I know if I can get past the ignition problemI can get this unit running. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2002, 05:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You're right, something is missing. You need a negative battery cable. It should run from the battery to one of the engine mounting bolts. See you local mower dealer for the correct size cable. As a little added insurance you can also run a smaller cable to attach somewhere on the metal frame.

Old 04-16-2002, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks - that makes sense. Given my knowledge of cars/trucks that's what I had thought but wasn't sure. Thanks for the help - now it's out to the garage to apply it - first chance/break I get from the lawns - with fingers crossed.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Jason, you can go to the Toro web site and they have diagrams for your mower under the parts online section. You would need to have the model and serial number handy to do the search. This would give you a good idea of the negative cable hookup.

We happen to have one at my Dad's house and I will look at it to see where the cable goes.